The Herald experiment continues

My name is Katherine, and I like to break things.

It’s the dawn of my last semester as Editor-in-Chief, and I’ve rarely felt so revved up for the start of a new term. It’ll be a semester of “lasts” for me at the Herald, and I often joke that I plan to burn the place to the ground on my way out the door. It means I feel a renewed urgency to create and fuck shit up before I leave this place.

Last semester, we learned a lot about how to function as a student-run, online-first news organization, and I’m looking forward to deploying two new parallel production structures–dedicated teams for print and digital–to devote more resources to making the best products possible.

Our print edition will be all about “slow” news — the investigative, analytical and long form pieces perfectly suited to a twice-a-week product. Meanwhile, our digital team will continue to break the local news stories you care about most with round-the-clock online coverage.

We’re here to make messes, experiment and occasionally break things.

If you’re interested in coming along for the ride, I encourage you to join us at our first new member meeting of the semester at 7 p.m. on Jan. 28.