Police, not protesters disturbed the peace at sleep-in at Capitol

The rumor spread like wildfire through the halls of the Capitol late Saturday night. It had been leaked that cops in full riot gear were going to clear the Capitol of occupiers at 2 a.m. Sunday.

With one of the smallest sleep-in crowds since the action began one week ago, a heavy tension quickly filled the air. Organizers scrambled to corroborate whispers and decide what response, if any, would be appropriate and possible. Twitter was immediately abuzz with speculation. All the while, protesters without leadership roles were left to fill their heads with whatever their imaginations could conjure.

Would they be expected to passively resist, and risk arrest? Was this something they were comfortable with? Should they be worried about their safety? What were those shadowy figures that seemed to have access to information they were not privy to aggressively murmuring in the corridors?

Organizers themselves were faced with equally difficult questions. What did the sleep-ins mean? How were they significant or symbolic to what is quickly becoming a national movement? Were they worth being arrested over?

The most authoritative leaders of the resistance seemed certain the rumors had real merit. But uncertain information perpetually plagues activist circles during mass demonstrations like this.

The hours leading up to the alleged 2 a.m. raid dripped quickly away. Facts became rumors, only to become fact again. Apprehension gave way to trepidation. Uncertainty teetered on panic. Frustration was subtly tending toward fear.

For all this, one thing was clear to organizers: This was an act of provocation. And anything other than a calm, measured response would inevitably launch the peaceful protests into an unproductive spiral no one wanted nor were prepared to handle.

The noticeable increase in police presence only compounded concerns. Until that night, protesters and police had maintained positive and amicable relationships. Some had even gently suggested they were on the side of the protesters – recognizing this was their cause as well.

Things changed on Saturday night though. Following the largest day of exceptionally peaceful protests, which included potentially incendiary counter rallies, the police patrolling the Capitol grounds were noticeably on edge. They knew what was to come. They knew, but they weren’t telling.

With the precision of a Swiss made watch, at 2 a.m. on the dot, as organizers continued to scramble, police from all over the state sprung into action. They had no batons or shields. There was no direct confrontation with protesters. Despite multiple sightings of cops carrying riot gear into the building, no one was asked to leave.

Calmly and methodically, the police began to remove the countless signs adorning the marble walls. There was no explanation and little communication. “What are you doing with our signs”? people cried from the rotunda. Meager chants of “Who’s house? Our house!” bubbled then died.

Organizers begged for dialogue. All week they had been told signs hung with blue painter’s tape would not be removed. In compliance, they had gone through spool after spool of donated blue tape. Signs posted with anything else were even removed and re-hung to appease law enforcement.

Tireless efforts had been made to show cops and the world that protesters respected the historic building they had come to call home. Every request had been eagerly obliged. This came out of nowhere. After talking my way up the chain of command though it became apparent the order came from on high.

There are several vitally important reflections that must be considered in lieu of these events. It is remarkable protesters have been as of yet unopposed in their habitation of the Capitol building. But this was clearly the first push against the occupation and it would be a foolish mistake to think it will be the last.

The meaning of the occupation must be discerned if it is to continue. With the entire country watching and multiple other protests emerging against similar legislation in other states, the importance of this symbolic act must be weighed against the imminent blowback from the powers it opposes.

If it is determined a powerful enough symbol of resistance to continue, occupiers need to be unabashedly honest with themselves. They need to determine for themselves the extents to which they are willing to go in protest.

The emergence of more radical resisters from the woodworks last night is likely a sign of things to come.

Several union representatives spoke up when the signs began to come down. The most vocal had earlier bragged to me about being one of nine instigators arrested Thursday when they stormed the assembly hearing room. He went on to explain he has been participating in acts of civil disobedience on behalf of unions for 15 years. Other unaffiliated activists openly encouraged more forceful resistance. Luckily student leaders were able to quickly quell the rabble rousing.

Students have certainly been a driving force in these protests. But there are many more passionate and experienced activists who are willing to go to great lengths to oppose this bill. Student protesters need to determine their comfort level should acts of civil disobedience begin to escalate.

It was clear last night that many of those sleeping-in believed in the cause, but were more excited about a field trip-like sleepover at the Capitol than risking arrest for a cause. 

If the occupation is to continue, serious efforts must be made to increase the numbers and types of people participating. If law enforcement had decided to clear the Capitol early Sunday morning, it would have been a relatively swift and simple endeavor.

The presence of community leaders and politicians would bring a weight to the occupation that would make the political ramifications of forcibly removing people far more formidable. Mayoral candidates Paul Soglin or Mayor Dave Cieslewicz joining the sleep-ins would bring new meaning and power to the action, for example. The same would be true for legislators, university administrators and other community figureheads.

Amid the commotion early Sunday, I talked to a young man who drove from Flint, Mich., to participate in the sleep-in.

When I asked him what compelled him and his companions to make the trip, he solemnly answered, “We know something like this is right around the corner in Michigan. We’re here to learn from the pros.”

The entire country is watching, and many are taking notes. What the “pros” in Madison do from here will set a precedent that others will follow. Keeping in mind that any act of protest absolutely must remain peaceful, the next steps need to be carefully measured, thought out and deliberate.

Kyle Mianulli ([email protected]) is a senior majoring in journalism, political science and philosophy. Follow his on- the-ground accounts of the protests on Twitter @KyleMianulli.