Sexism on campus must be addressed

Recently, the online comments from the news article “AEPi awaits J-Board rule” have become a serious hot-button issue due to their anti-Semitic nature. The story detailed the then uncertain future of the fraternity after its rowdy behavior at the Overture Center. Upon noticing the negative attention these comments generated among Badger Herald readers via letters to the editor, I decided to check out the comments myself to discover what all the commotion was about. By that time, the comments that had caused the stir had been deleted. However, I did notice something else that upset me greatly: the number of degrading comments targeted at the woman who allegedly had sex with a male in the Overture Center bathroom reveal an air of sexism that looms around our campus which should not be tolerated.

The article mentions a complaint against the couple rumored to have had sex in the bathroom during the event. Upon scrolling through a series of tirades both against the Greek system for its inappropriate behavior and against The Badger Herald for its supposed negative portrayal of fraternities, I read a series of hateful comments bashing the female fornicator for her perceived promiscuous ways. One anonymous commenter came to the defense of the fraternity, asserting, “there was no physical damage to the Overture Center. Well, unless you count that jizz-stain on the bathroom wall after an AEPi fucked his dirty whore girlfriend.” Another referred to her as a “skank” for “getting dick” in the bathroom.

Two people commit a lewd act in a public restroom and somehow that makes only the girl a target for ridicule. Meanwhile, the guy is praised and envied for his ability to maneuver said dirty whore into the bathroom. As one reader remarks, “Sex in the bathroom? That’s a story I’d like to have myself — bravo, son.” This is the double standard of how promiscuity is perceived differently between males and females. A promiscuous girl is almost always labeled a whore, slut, skank, tramp or some other equally offensive smear for which there is no male equivalent. She is often perceived as unclean and undeserving of even a modicum of respect. This is not the case for guys. With each sexual conquest he adds another notch on his bedpost until he figuratively whittles himself a phallic trophy to proudly display to his friends who will no doubt shower him with praise. This injustice is not something new; however, the appearance of this hateful language that surfaced on the online forums of this newspaper shows that this age-old problem should be confronted if we ever hope to put these stereotypes to rest.

The reality is that women are still treated as unequal in some circumstances, and we must do everything in our power to garner the respect we deserve. I am asking that we as females of this campus assert ourselves in order to combat the adversity we face. The only way we can hope for change is to let those who degrade women know that this language is offensive and unacceptable. In saying that it should not be tolerated, I do not mean we should stifle free speech or eliminate the ability to comment. Physically removing the distasteful comments will do little to change attitudes surrounding this matter. Rather, I suggest that we, too, exercise our freedom of speech to speak out against these injustices as they arise. In taking a stand, females should also practice caution when it comes to labeling other women as sluts or whores. Using these atrocious epithets so casually and frequently makes their use seem more socially acceptable. Even jokingly referring to a female by one of these names makes light of a serious issue that we will perpetuate if we do not take time to think before we speak.

Holly Hartung ([email protected]) is a sophomore intending to major in journalism.