A day of mourning

We are deeply saddened by the events that transpired on Virginia Tech's campus yesterday, and offer our condolences to the victims, their friends and families who have been touched by the tragedy.

At approximately 7:15 a.m. yesterday morning, a gunman opened fire in a dormitory, where he reportedly shot and killed two people. Almost two hours later, gunshots rang through yet another university building, this time killing 30. As of press time, 33 people were dead — including the gunman — and another 29 are suffering from injuries. While the details of the incident are still unfolding, the shooting is being coined as the deadliest in U.S. history and serves as a sobering reminder of a fellow human's capacity to do evil.

In light of this attack, it seems appropriate to remember that safety should never be presumed. It is becoming increasingly clear how important the role of a contingency plan played in the aftermath of the Virginia Tech shootings, and we urge our own administration to evaluate our own methods of response, should a similar situation ever occur at the University of Wisconsin.

Students must also be kept informed about emergency response plans; the administration should make every effort to ensure that students feel safe on campus and confident in the ability of the local officials to protect them in a crisis.

Dean of Students Lori Berquam told a Badger Herald reporter that UW students who feel particularly affected by the Virginia shootings should not hesitate to contact her office or the university's 24-hour crisis line at 265-6565.

The mourning process following the Virginia Tech shootings has only just begun, and we offer our deepest sympathies to the campus community and anyone linked to this tragedy.