Go vote!

In 1776, the founders of our nation drafted a document declaring Americans, from that point on, would be ruled by popular consent. Today, however, the idea of popular consent is threatened by widespread voter apathy. As public dissatisfaction in government grows, fewer citizens take the time to go to the polls and vote. In Madison this year, with Election Day scheduled during spring break, voting will be harder than ever for students who already have trouble finding the time to cast a ballot. So why vote for mayor or your local aldermanic candidates on April 3?

Do you think having fewer bars downtown will inspire students to drink less? That's what the current mayor and one campus-area alder believe. Do you have an opinion on policies ranging from Halloween, the Mifflin Street Block Party and campus safety? What do you think of police raids on bars? These candidates have an immediate and direct impact on campus life, yet most students haven't even heard of influential local figures such as Austin King and Mike Verveer. But on April 3, students will once again have a chance to make their voices heard.

Despite spring break, every student has the chance to combat "a long train of abuses and usurpations" by their local government via absentee ballot. To accommodate students, the city clerk's office has extended hours and will be open until 4:30 p.m. this week; from 8 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. next week; and both Saturdays from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.

Absentee ballots will be mailed to registered voters who fill out a request form and deliver it to the city clerk's office, located at 210 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.

If you're still confused, check out the news section in today's Herald. In addition, the clerk's office has a nifty website featuring a wealth of information about voting absentee: http://www.ci.madison.wi.us/clerk/