HPV shot mandate vital

If you ask me, it's about time a Texas Republican set a good example for the rest of the country.

In fact, one has: Republican Gov. Rick Perry.

Perry, who was described in a recent article by The Associated Press as a "conservative Christian who opposes abortion and stem-cell research using embryonic cells," ruffled the feathers of conservatives when he used an executive order to require school-age girls to get vaccinated against the human papillomavirus. Also known as HPV, the infection is a cause of cervical cancer. In addition, Perry has campaigned for free vaccines and more inclusive health-care coverage for the injection, making certain that anyone who wants the vaccination — and those who are now required to get it — have access to the vaccines with little or no cost at all.

The vaccination has come under fire by many conservatives, especially by those who are extremely religious. Because HPV is a sexually transmitted disease, many argue that vaccinating girls at such a young age will give them a false sense of security and will encourage them to act promiscuously and become sexually active at a younger age. Further, many say the number of unwanted pregnancies — and, consequentially, abortions — will soar when young women feel invincible after receiving the vaccine.

In addition to these concerns, many citizens decry a mandate requiring a vaccination as an intrusion by the government into the way a family raises its children. These people argue that the HPV shot is still available for those who want it — the FDA approved the vaccination back in November — and the government has no place lecturing parents on their child's health care. In Perry's case, the issue is even more complicated: Because he used an executive order — rather than letting the Legislature decide the future of the proposal — he's fielding additional criticism for going to extra lengths to ensure the vaccination became a requirement. In short, Perry is being accused of stepping too far into the lives of his constituents without allowing the Legislature to chime in. These criticisms seem unfounded when considering the danger of the infection, as well as the fact that there is some leeway for parents to choose to opt out of the vaccine for religious reasons.

No matter how loud the critics whine, it's hard not to admire both Perry's decision and his reasons for making it. Since the story broke, he has continually been quoted citing relevant and well-founded reasons for using the executive order and has proved that this is not something he did merely to assert his authority, but rather has shown he genuinely believes this is a sensible health initiative. For example, in a Feb. 7 article in the Dallas Morning News, he brushed the critics aside and asserted he'd rather "err on the side of protecting life." In an article by The Associated Press, Perry pointed out that the HPV vaccine is no different than a vaccine to prevent polio.

He's got a point: Just as the polio vaccination defeated that disease, the HPV shot could do the same. HPV is spreading rapidly among both men and women. According to the Center Disease Control and Prevention, at least 50 percent of sexually active men and women will contract HPV during their lifetimes. For women in particular, by age 50, at least 80 percent of women will have been infected with HPV.

So what does Wisconsin have to learn from Texas? Perhaps for the first time ever, a lot. According to The Associated Press, a proposal echoing the Texas decision — it will require sixth-grade girls to receive the HPV vaccination before entering school — will come before both the state Senate and Assembly, and then perhaps will land on Gov. Jim Doyle's desk. And, speaking of Mr. Doyle, it is surprising and disappointing that he has yet to weigh in on the topic, given that he spoke so strongly during his State of the State Address about making improvements to children's health care.

It is time for both Republicans and Democrats to realize what Perry already has: HPV and cervical cancer are issues that must be dealt with immediately. Gov. Doyle especially should remind himself of the promises he made to constituents just a few weeks ago and not shy away from helping Wisconsin be as farsighted as Texas and its conservative Republican governor.

Emily Friedman ([email protected]) is a senior majoring in journalism and legal studies.