ASM Chair reacts to election gone awry

As many of you read in this very paper yesterday, and much to my dismay, the ASM spring elections have been postponed until Monday, April 3, for technical reasons. Apparently the extremely high voter turnout Tuesday, a record 15 percent of campus, overloaded the online elections capabilities hosted by DoIT.

The decision to temporarily halt the elections was an intelligent and warranted move, but I question how it was made. The SEC Chair and an ASM staff member made the choice alone, which I concede was ultimately the right answer, but the SEC and the Student Judiciary, the two student bodies charged with overseeing the elections, should have had the final say. Many have questioned why Student Council was not involved or even notified, but it is not within Student Council's jurisdiction to even consider this. It would be a gross misuse of power for an elected body — especially with many representatives up for re-election in this very election — to have any input on such a matter.

Some have argued — and I agree with them — that in all elections there are some irregularities. Irregularities do occur in every election, but when the irregularities occur more frequently than the norm, just action must be taken to ensure fairness to all. This is why the election had to be stopped. Had the election continued, this campus would have been Palm Beach County — hanging chads and all — but on a much larger scale.

The decision to keep votes for referendums and scrap votes for representative seats is a major mistake by the SEC. Although I see where the SEC is coming from, it is completely absurd to reuse certain votes, especially knowing they may be tainted. Fair democracy is entitling every person a right to vote and only vote once. I believe that the election should be completely rerun, as a single election, to ensure that this philosophy holds true.

Furthermore, I am extremely displeased with various individuals and organizations on this campus who made it their business to harass, interrupt and even threaten members of the SEC at their heavily populated meeting Wednesday. The decision to stop elections was for technical reasons, completely out of student control. Such behavior is absolutely inappropriate and demeans all students. It is highly hypocritical for a student group to march into and interrupt a meeting asking for democracy, yet seek to disallow certain people from voting.

At this juncture, some have claimed corruption within ASM. This is merely somebody taking a cheap shot at ASM for not getting what he or she wanted in the elections. I can assure all students that there are various safeguards in place to prevent any such corruption from happening.

One specific student has even considered starting a new student government — a move which is sure to fill the void in his life after he is defeated in the county board races on Tuesday. The formation of a new student government simply is not feasible at this point — ASM has the backing of the student body, Bascom's respect and the power of the purse. I expect this "government" to fizzle out quickly. Since its formation by the student body 13 years ago, ASM had expanded students' rights, provided unique opportunities and services, and responsibly allocated student segregated fees.

As head of the student government, I apologize to all students and organizations who voted, campaigned and organized for this election. It is imperative that your student government ensures and offers a fair and error-free election in which all students have the opportunity to voice their opinion. I encourage you to vote at www.vote.asm.wisc.edu next week and shape how this campus will look next year and in the future.

Eric Varney is a UW senior and chair of ASM.