New course for Madison in 2006

It is that time of the year again when everyone from Dr. Phil to Jenny Craig helps us make and keep resolutions.

Soon after the New Year, I began to ponder the ancient Roman tradition of making resolutions at the commencement of a new year. And while many would benefit from making a few resolutions, one entity in particular would benefit significantly — the City of Madison.

Here are some resolutions for a municipality that is 85 square miles surrounded by reality:

1) Abolish the city's Halloween party.

Last year, the city of Madison spent more than a quarter of a million dollars supervising a party that served a colossal gathering of inebriated temporary transplants, while the taxpayers of Madison were left with the bill. Mayor Dave Cieslewicz said it best in his comments to the Wisconsin State Journal last fall: "It's the world's largest collection of obnoxious drunks. I see no value in it." This resolution would serve city leaders, Madisonians and financially responsible individuals alike.

2) Focus on building a stronger local economy.

Mr. Cieslewicz remarked in a column on the progressive website FightingBob.com, "I want Madison to be the most progressive city in America." Such a goal is not without negative consequences, though. Recently, this city's progressive positions have left the city heavily entangled in regulations — harming Madison's businesses, both large and small, in the process.

3) Find strong candidates to run against Alds. Brenda Konkel and Austin King in the next election.

Representing Districts 2 and 8, respectively, these two individuals epitomize Progressive Dane on the Madison City Council. Instead of taking a cue from Adam Smith's "The Wealth of Nations," these alders prefer to idolize and worship the lingering spirit of Karl Marx in this town.

Once considered the poster child of Progressive Dane, Ms. Konkel — responsible for the city's cumbersome lobbying law — has finally gone too far. As many before me have noticed, her party members are becoming increasingly frustrated with her antics on the council, which often halt true progress in this city.

While Ms. Konkel is preoccupied stalling meaningful debate on the council or blogging, Mr. King is forgetting the small businesses in his district. Last fall, he proposed a law that would require all employers to give their employees paid sick leave. Like Ms. Konkel, Mr. King has also strongly supported anti-business measures such as the city-wide smoking ban, inclusionary zoning law and increasing the minimum wage.

4) Keep the frivolous protesting to a minimum.

Last year, Madison saw its share of protests, ranging from anti-war protests across the city to the "Falk-Lewicz-Ville" protest of the city's lack of funding for a wet shelter — complete with obnoxious drumming. And how could we forget ASM's hypocritical hunger strike for lower tuition at the state Capitol?

We have the right to protest in this nation. But the protests in this city often attempt to silence an opposing view or carry a misleading message.

5) Allow people in this city to freely practice their religions.

Last year, the Madison-based Freedom from Religion Foundation continued its assault against religion, both in Madison and across the nation. In December, the organization found itself in the news with the annual display of its "Winter Solstice" sign in the state Capitol Rotunda, which denounced organized religion.

The foundation has also helped eradicate Christmas songs at holiday concerts in the Madison Metropolitan School District. Unfortunately, this city often sides with the FFRF, incorrectly believing that the Constitution states that we should have freedom from religion, not freedom of religion.

6) Finally, the city needs to sober up.

The University of Wisconsin should be known as an institution of quality higher education and research. Regrettably, UW is better known for its prevalence of abhorrent beer bongs than its exceptional academic programs. And the recent garnering of the title of top party school in the nation has not helped this institution's relationship with the state Legislature. The city needs to be more vigilant of the vices UW students choose to engage in.

Consider these resolutions an early birthday gift to a city gearing up for its sesquicentennial celebration this year. I have no doubt the next 150 years will be as unique as the last century and a half.

Darryn Beckstrom ([email protected]) is a doctoral student in the Department of Political Science and a second-year MPA candidate in the La Follette School of Public Affairs.