FFRF campaign unacceptable stunt

Growing up, I was always afraid that it was going to be the Scrooge or the Grinch who stole Christmas. This belief remained as I grew into adulthood, until I realized that it is not Scrooge or the Grinch that I should be scared of, but instead the Freedom From Religion Foundation. This Madison based group is not only determined to ruin Christmas, but also Hanukkah and any other religious celebrations that occur during this season.

As soon at the giant Christmas tree that beautifully decorates our State Capitol was put up, so was a sign meant to spoil the holiday season. This blemish, carefully placed amid holiday decorations in the first floor rotunda area, reads: "At this season of the Winter Solstice may reason prevail. There are no gods, no devils, no angels, no heaven or hell. There is only our natural world. Religion is but myth and superstition that hardens hearts and enslaves minds."

It is one thing to disagree with something that other people believe in and a complete other to publicly criticize people for their beliefs at a time of celebration.

This sign should not be recognized as a plea for separation of church and state, but rather as an attack on religious holidays. Annie Laurie Gaylor, co-president of the foundation, told the Badger Herald, "We felt that it would be important to have a sign saying to keep church and state separate." The constant debate of whether or not church and state should be separated has crossed the line this time.

It was acceptable when they demanded that religion in public classrooms should be eliminated because it may make some people uncomfortable. It was still acceptable when they demanded that religion be removed from politics. It is absolutely unacceptable that a group, who lobbies to make people feel more comfortable in public places, would make so many people feel uncomfortable in a public place.

State Rep. Scott Suder, R-Abbotsford, told the Badger Herald he disagreed with the placement of the sign at the capitol.

"Apparently Scrooge left his sign in the capitol and I wish Gov. Doyle would remove it," Rep. Suder said. "I think it is unnecessary for the Freedom From Religion Foundation to attack Christmas."

He also believes that the sign "has demeaned people of all faiths" and sends a bad message to everyone who visits the capitol, especially children.

"We have had groups or individuals come down who have been very disgusted with the sign; they find [the FFRF] message to be both appalling and very disturbing," Rep. Suder said, adding he encourages people to post "pro-Christmas" signs or signs promoting their own religion in response. "Most people ignore it, but it does disturb some, and it's unfortunate that this group has to continue to promote their agenda against all religions."

It is understandable why this sign has been targeted several times in the past. In the 10 years that the sign has been visible, it has been vandalized and stolen.

At this time of celebration, regardless of what the celebration is for, people should remember what is really important in life. The holiday season is about gathering with loved ones to celebrate the closing of one year and the beginning of the next. Regardless of religion, the majority of people celebrate the season in some respect. It is about helping others. Demoralizing other people's beliefs is hardly the definition of goodwill.

Joelle Parks ([email protected]) is a sophomore intending to major in journalism.