Be a real American: Vote

We stand on the brink of Election Day 2004, likely to be one of the most controversial and crucial presidential elections in the history of our country. Record numbers of young people have registered to vote all across the country, and sharp increases in student activism have forced politicians to focus on college campuses. But despite widespread interest in this race, we are still struggling to fight apathy and ignorance in our fellow young people. Excuses are many and laziness is heavy come Nov. 2.

What upsets me is the willingness of young people to let their voices be silenced and their opinions disregarded; many choose to be ignorant of world events and willingly forfeit their voting privileges. Civic participation should be considered an honorable action of democratic respect and a responsibility that all citizens should feel they have to bear. What right do people who criticize our leaders and the state of the country have to voice their dissent when they refuse to assist in electing proper leadership? How can they complain when they are doing nothing to help solve the problem?

Fellow liberals, you disgust me the most. I have been to your anti-war rallies and your peaceful protests. I have watched you dispute and disapprove, yet I have also heard you say “I don’t even know if I’m going to vote.” Who do you think you are, to wear the proud name of an active liberal when you refuse to do your one social obligation that allows for potential political impact? I am ashamed to be classified in the same ideological category as you. What purpose do you feel is served when you sit out Election Day? Do you feel you are “rebelling against the man?” Do you think you are exercising popular dissention?

It’s not very rebellious to allow the leaders you complain so much about suppress you to the point of societal extinction. Yes, you’re really “fighting the man” when you refuse to exercise your right to change this country. You’re really “showing politicians” when you do not hold them accountable for their actions. Those completely unknowing of world issues or political processes may be a lost cause, but you certainly are not. You know what is going on; you know how you feel; you know whom you support (or at least who you don’t support). Why let yourself be silenced? It truly baffles me.

I am a firm believer in social activism, but nothing upsets me more than an activist (whether he agrees or disagrees with me) objecting to a cause that he did nothing to help prevent. It’s easy to get disgruntled with the cheapness, corruption and negativity of today’s politics. But the reason that politicians “lie” and are “dirty” is because they know they can get away with it; because when people like you get disgusted, you’ll just turn your back and not show up, leaving them to rule the country as they wish.

If you silence yourself Nov. 2, then silence yourself for the next four years, because it’s quite hypocritical to complain about elected leaders when you did nothing to prevent them from taking office. Go back to the petty irrelevances of your daily life while people are sent to die overseas by leaders that were put into power because you decided it “didn’t matter.” Sit on the couch, refuse to vote, be a “rebel” and “fight the man.” Nevertheless, when the state of the world comes full circle and those in power negatively affect your life, do not complain.

Voting has become unbelievably efficient and undeniably idiot-proof, leaving little room for the common argument that it’s “too inconvenient.” You know what’s inconvenient? It’s inconvenient that our country is so divided and tense today. It’s inconvenient that the world is so dangerous today. It’s inconvenient that anti-Americanism is so widespread today. It’s inconvenient that we are in two questionable and seemingly never-ending wars. It’s inconvenient that many UW graduates will struggle to find jobs next year, and it’s inconvenient that all these problems stem from young people failing to show up at the polls four years ago.

It doesn’t matter whom you vote for, just that you vote. At a time when we are attempting to spread democracy throughout the world, I wonder if we shouldn’t first spread democracy throughout our own nation and set a precedent for other “liberalized” countries to follow. Since 9/11, we have thrown the term patriotic around like a hot potato, defining and redefining it, misusing and abusing it. But come Nov. 2, we should all be able to agree on what will be deemed patriotic. Show your love for this country through civic participation: be a true “patriot” in a true “democracy” and take part in an election that has profound historic implications. Otherwise, to quote right-wing political pundit Bill O’Reilly, “Just shut up.”

Adam Lichtenheld ([email protected]) is a freshman majoring in political science and international studies. He voted a week ago.