Votes must be cast, counted

On the day you read this article, Tuesday, you had better vote. It’s a primary and therefore you’re probably thinking it isn’t too important unless you have a strong feeling about picking which Republican should run against Russ Feingold.

However, you should flex your voting muscles every chance you get. Registration in Wisconsin can take place on the day of the election, so get in there and vote. You have no excuse.

Besides, many of you who were here this summer already may have registered through one of the many groups doing voter registration, and it’s always a good idea to make sure you are registered in the appropriate place. Finding out on the primary election day is better than the general election day, when the polls are sure to be busier.

The election for president in Wisconsin this year is going to be terrifyingly close, as it was last election time. Wisconsin had only a handful of over 5,000 votes separating Gore from Bush in 2000. This year Bush and Kerry are going to duke it out just as hard for your vote.

Yet, one thing easily taken for granted is that your vote counts. Why?

It drives Republicans crazy when someone says, “Make sure every vote counts” in reference to Florida, because it taints their leader with the brush of impropriety. What isn’t contested, though, is that Florida had numerous problems with its election in 2000, from voters disenfranchised due to incorrect classification as felons to lines being too long, to the infamous butterfly ballots.

Conservatives were outraged that international election monitors were coming to Florida this year, but their outrage is misplaced. Gov. Jeb Bush said, “This is all part of some politically motivated thing that tries to scare people to somehow think their vote is not going to count. That’s hogwash, hogwash.” He should be outraged that we don’t commit enough resources to our own democracy to not be able to provide the world a shining example of walking the walk as well as talking the talk.

Florida is not the exception, either. Every state has problems running elections, for the very reason that they are huge, complicated affairs run mainly by volunteers.

Sometimes voter disenfranchisement is simply not being able to vote easily. Ever waited in line forever to vote? That keeps more people away from the polls than the politicians themselves, and it doesn’t need to be the case. Even simple things like being told who to vote for (a common occurrence) in an off-hand manner by a poll worker is a detriment to our system.

The adoption of the Help America Vote Act (HAVA) has made it tougher for many states used to doing business the old-fashioned way. Among its many requirements are same-day registration and a move toward electronic voting machines.

This summer, due to budget cutbacks, the city of Milwaukee will not train most of its election workers. The head of each polling place receives a two-hour training and that’s it. Granted, most poll workers have worked an election before, but there will be new poll workers who will receive no guidance.

This summer my own internship focused on creating an election-monitoring program for Milwaukee and Madison. We will be placing law students at polling places to monitor activities and call in assistance when needed.

Necessary in Wisconsin, you ask? Absolutely. In 2000 there were irregularities and accusations of Democrats offering homeless men cigarettes in exchange for their votes. In response, Republican operatives wearing green vests intimidated voters at polling places and spread misinformation in 2002.

Voting and the act of voting is your civic duty, not a partisan issue. No one should have problems on Election Day, even if you’re voting for Mickey Mouse.

It isn’t a liberal or conservative issue, it’s an American one.

Rob Deters is a third-year law student and can be reached at [email protected]. If you’re interested in being an election monitor, feel free to e-mail.