Redeclaring independence

Today marks the 35th anniversary of the University of Wisconsin’s independent student newspaper, The Badger Herald. As editor of this publication, I am proud to be a part of the success that surrounds the Herald and excited to welcome alumni back to Madison and the BH office.

As a staff, we work hard day in and day out to keep the integrity this paper was founded on afloat, largely and strongly including our independence. In commemoration of our 35th and as a tribute to those who noticed the dire need for an additional student voice back in 1969, we are republishing The Badger Herald’s original editorial, “A Monopoly Ends,” written by our first editor in chief, Patrick S. Korten.

This editorial stood as a mission statement for the Herald 35 years ago, and 35 years later we stick to the core principles the paper was founded on (minus the libertarian slant). We remain an alternative, but stand firm as a balanced news source. Thank you for reading and thank you for your continued support.

And on that note, congratulations alumni and current staff members on 35 years of nearly missing deadlines, suffering through ungodly late nights while still displaying an unrelenting love for the Herald! Somehow we’ve trucked through thick and thin, and we all deserve a pat on the back for that one.

Sincerely,

Cristina Daglas

Editor in Chief