Summer is a time for opportunities and fun

Summer vacation has almost arrived. Two more weeks of pesky papers and exams and then the burdens of class are lifted and freedom comes back to UW students. Summer in Madison is wonderful. One-fourth as many people are here and all the hustle and bustle of the school year disappears.

Summer is a great time to make some money — at least for those of you who can find a job. It is a good time to take that extra class or two towards graduation, as everyone knows summer classes are easier than classes offered during the school year. It is also an excellent time to get an internship to gain valuable experience that may be beneficial in deciding what to do after college and to gain the necessary knowledge to help get that first job after graduation.

But as each year goes by, graduation quickly approaches and the real world is waiting. For me, this is my last summer in Madison, as I will graduate in December. About 15 percent of the students on campus will graduate this month, many of whom will start working immediately.

As the years pass, there is less and less time and opportunity to meet new friends. Making friends and meeting people will never be easier than it is in college. The opportunity to spend time with old friends also disappears. People get full-time jobs after graduation, move to other cities and states and take on new responsibilities. It is called growing up, and it happens faster then most of us realize.

At a school this large, students can come and go like they are numbers, but people always have the memories and it is important to create as many good memories as possible. We have all made mistakes over our years at Madison and we have all had some wonderful times, but it is important to remember it is not too late to keep creating the memories.

Setting priorities is important. For these next two weeks it may mean focusing on papers and exams — not too much fun. Priorities are always changing, though, and making money in the summer is important, as is that internship; but make it a priority to leave plenty of time to go out and have fun this summer. This is a wonderful town in the summer and it is important to go out and enjoy the freedom of summer before it is too late.

College only comes around once in a lifetime and it comes early in our lives. It is a time of opportunity and fun, but we must take advantage of these opportunities. It is the one time we can reasonably make partying a priority.

Once this semester finally ends and it is time for summer, don’t forget these years will soon be behind us and it is a good idea to take advantage of the weather and the opportunities before it is too late. And always remember, if you do drink this summer, “PACE” yourself … yeah right.

No regrets.

Matt Modell ([email protected]) is a senior majoring in journalism and political science.