Biskupic for top cop

One of Wisconsin’s hottest races this cycle that has largely fallen under the looming shadow of a monumental gubernatorial battle has been the contest for an open seat as the state’s top cop.

In the race for attorney general between Appleton’s Vince Biskupic and Fond du Lac’s Peggy Lautenschalger, Biskupic appears more cop than politician, a reassuring factor amid the turmoil of Wisconsin political scandal.

Biskupic has a history in Outagamie County of being tough on domestic violence offenders and sexual assault victims, in addition to his tough stances against white-collar crime. Lautenschlager’s background in private law practice, as well as her time spent in the state legislature, makes her more politically oriented than is desirable for an enforcement officer.

We also applaud Biskupic’s stance as the definitive advocate for firearms rights in this election. This paper has time and again demonstrated its allegiance to the First Amendment; we believe the Second is no less important.

While Lautenshlager comes from a broader background in civil cases and lawmaking, Biskupic is the type of hard-working, enforcement-style officer Wisconsin needs for the next four years.