Lautenschlager the best choice for attorney general

The position of the attorney general in the state of Wisconsin contains is a powerful one, yet is loosely defined. Our attorney general is the protector of citizens’ rights, and he or she also upholds the strength of Wisconsin law. This office-holder has the potential to instigate real change within our state, but he or she can also enjoy the power of the title without doing much work.

After Jim Doyle’s pro-active and impressive tenure as attorney general, he is taking a stab at the highest office in the state. Now, Wisconsin voters have to decide who will defend their rights as attorney general. The choice is between Peg Lautenschlager and Vince Biskupic, and the choice is clear.

Lautenschalger has served as the Winnebago County district attorney, a state legislator and as a United States attorney for eight years. She has vigorously defended the rights of victims and their families, and protected consumers from corporate exploitation. In fact, while serving as a U.S. attorney, Lautenschlager’s district had the highest sentences for white-collar crimes in the nation.

She also instituted the first mandatory arrest laws for domestic abuse in Winnebago County, a move that proves her dedication to women’s and children’s rights.

While Biskupic can boast the accomplishment of being the Outagamie County district attorney from 1994 to present, he can not brag about much more. Biskupic has found comfort in seeking the position of attorney general. He has stated that he only wants to prosecute murders, rapes and other violent crimes.

What about our environment and healthcare costs and corporate exploitation? He need not be pro-active, but rather use his power to enforce his own agenda.

One might wonder how reproductive choice could fit into the realm of the attorney general, but these days, if you look, choice is brought into every campaign and every race — it cannot be removed.

Biskupic has received a 100 percent endorsement from Wisconsin Right to Life. That is fine. Anti-choice candidates are everywhere and cannot be ignored. The special thing about Biskupic is that to recieve a 100 percent rating he has to believe in denying women and girls their constitutional right to an abortion even in cases of rape, incest and when the life of the pregnant woman is at stake.

How can this man say that he will be a defender of all Wisconsin citizens without being willing to uphold their basic constitutional rights? Does he truly think that voters are not paying attention?

Well, he must, because while the Wisconsin Right to Life website advertises its endorsement of Biskupic, his campaign website never mentions it. Vince, are you afraid of what your own beliefs might do to you?

Another state constitutional duty of the Wisconsin attorney general is to serve on a board with the secretary of state and the state treasurer. The board decides what will happen with state land and decides what land to sell and what land to preserve.

Lautenschlager has vowed to protect Wisconsin land and to keep natural spaces clean and beautiful for hunters and hikers alike. The only reason more land has not been sold to big corporations for pillaging is because this board is currently two against one in terms of environmental issues. By replacing Jim Doyle with Peg Lautenschlager we can ensure that Wisconsin will stay green and beautiful.

Experience also makes a difference in this race, as it does in any race. Lautenschaulger was first the Winnebago County district attorney, then served in the Wisconsin Legislature for four years She then went on to hold the prestigious position of United States attorney for eight years.

Vince Biskupic has been the district attorney for Outagamie County since 1994. This race is like the Senate majority leader running against a freshman Congressman for the presidency.

The difference between the two candidates is astounding. In this race the question has become this: Does Wisconsin want an assertive protector of our laws and rights or an inexperienced, lazy lawyer who only wants to defend the rights of a few?

You can demand a pro-active attorney general by casting a vote. Decide the fate of Wisconsin — vote Nov. 5.

Lauren Besser is a junior majoring in political science and English.