Letters to the Editor

As I read the interview with Student Regent Tommie Jones Jr. (March 4), I was appalled at the editorial board’s utter disregard for student issues.

The first question I expected the Herald to ask is one students around the state have been asking since June: Why did he, as our “representative,” vote for a tuition increase? Nowhere in the Herald article was Jones’ vote pricing students out of an education mentioned.

Furthermore, I was baffled by the Herald’s glaring bias against the Add-A-Regent Bill. This bill would add a non-traditional student to the Board of Regents and would turn the current student regent into an elected position. Considering the Board of Regents makes every important decision affecting student life, it makes sense for students have a say. It’s not a perfect bill, but it’s a lot better than the 17 people now on the Board who have not eaten Ramen or been in a college classroom in 25 years.

Faith Kurtyka

ASM Legislative Affairs Director

This Tuesday the City Council will be voting on several items that directly affect us. First is an ordinance entitled Tenant Rights and Responsibilities. This item would require your landlord to distribute a document with a list of your rights as a renter, a list of the things for which you are legally responsible and contact information you need to have your rights enforced!

Second, there is also an ordinance entitled Notice of Denial of Tenancy which, if you weren’t accepted for an apartment, would require that the property owner notify you in writing why you weren’t accepted.

Another item on the agenda is the Anti-loitering ordinance. Although this ordinance may not directly affect the lives of everyday students, it is something that we should all step up and speak out against.

Every person that shows up makes a big difference.

Todd Jarrell

District 8 Alder