From the desk of the editor: Community invited to sit on editorial board

As a part of our ongoing commitment to experimentation, The Badger Herald is shifting the composition of our editorial board. Along with our normal student contributors, members of the community are now invited to sit on the board for one-week stints. A full description is included below.

We look forward to connecting in new ways with the University of Wisconsin and Madison communities.

Signe Brewster

Editor-in-Chief

Temporary community editorial board member:

A community board member is someone who plays an important role in the state, city or campus landscape. We want to reach out not only to those who have a vocal presence in students’ minds, but also to members of the community who are not necessarily heard over all the noise. The goal is to hear many different voices so the student body and Badger Herald staff can be more informed.

The community board member will be a non-voting member who sits on the editorial board for one week. They will be encouraged to participate in our daily discussions of current issues. Most importantly, they will be able to dictate one issue the board must discuss that week. This issue will ideally relate to a group or cause with which the community member is affiliated. It is at the editorial board’s discretion whether or not to write on the issue. If the editorial board chooses not to write a piece on the issue, the community board member will be allowed a spot on the opinion page for their own column.

We hope to encourage discussions with our editorial board and foster better relationships with those in the community. If you would like to be considered for a position as a community board member, please email Editorial Board Chair Alex Brousseau at [email protected].