Report finds special interests groups are double-giving

Many special interest groups are apparently minimizing their risk with campaign donations by donating to both gubernatorial candidates, a recent report said.

According to a report released by the Wisconsin Democracy Campaign, 311 lawyers, builders, bankers and other special interest donors gave $450,000 to both Democrat Tom Barrett and Republican Scott Walker.

The report found the two split the take relatively evenly, with Walker receiving $245,374 while Barrett took home $203,928 of the total contributions.

According to guidelines set up by the Government Accountability Board, special interest groups and committees are required to register and disclose campaign donations.

However, there is no rule preventing donors from giving to both candidates.

The results of the report could represent a negative trend for special interest groups in Wisconsin campaigns.

“This double giving to candidates in both major parties undercuts the frequent claim by special interests that they contribute for the same reason as average citizens – to participate in the democratic process and support the candidate and party that best reflect their views, and not to obtain favors from policymakers,” the Wisconsin Democracy Campaign said in the report.

Double-donors could also be trying to take precautions for after November, because depending on how the election goes, either Walker will still be Milwaukee County Executive or Barrett will be mayor of Milwaukee.

However, Jill Bader, a spokesperson for the Walker campaign, said large contributions from special interests in general are not central to Walker’s campaign strategy.

“What we’re really focused on is the normal every day people,” Bader said.

Indeed, large contributions from special interests double donors only made up a small percentage of both candidates’ overall large contributions, according to the report.

Barrett received 8 percent of his total large donor contributions from so-called “double donors,” while the money from these donors made up 7 percent of Walker’s total large contributions, according to the report.

The report named Dennis Klein, chairman of KBS Construction, as the top double-donor. Klein gave $9,150 to Barrett and $5,000 to Walker during the course of the two campaigns.