ISA to showcase its culture at India Night tonight

http://http://vimeo.com/10316334

India Night 2010
ISA presents India Night! The event will be the bigger of ISA’s two yearly shows — the ISA Fall Show and India Night — and is the largest cultural show on campus. India Night is always a blowout with “the best brown talent this school has to offer showing off what they’ve got.” India Night 2010 will certainly be a night you won’t soon forget!

The University of Wisconsin Indian Students Association will act, dance and sing tonight to show the university community its cultural pride.

The event will be the larger of ISA’s two yearly shows — the ISA Fall Show and India Night — and is the largest cultural show on campus.

ISA President and UW junior Riju Narayan said India Night will include skits, music and dancing, all to promote the culture of India.

While she said the whole show is excellent, she admitted she was very excited for the dance in which she will perform. She said she also looks forward to seeing how the whole show will come together and how the audience will react.

“I’m most excited… just to see the final product of everybody’s hard work and to see the audiences reaction to the show,” Narayan said.

ISA treasurer and UW sophomore Anooj Kothari said he choreographed a dance which will be the last act of the show. He said the act will be a traditional Indian dance called Raas. He added he was very excited to see the act come together.

Both Kothari and Narayan said a substantial amount of planning and work went into the event.

“Each of our board members have been planning… just to make sure everything [goes] smoothly,” Kothari said.

Narayan added they have been working to publicize the event, plan the logistics of the show and secure funding, which was provided by the Associated Students of Madison, Wisconsin Experience and Multicultural Council.

She added the groups have bolstered the publicity efforts recently by passing out fliers around campus and planning a large display banner for Bascom Hill.

She said the performing groups have been working just as hard. Months ago, they began planning and rehearsing their acts as much as possible to pass through an audition with ISA.

India Night will be held at the Memorial Union Theater at 7:00 p.m. tonight, with the doors opening at 6:30 p.m. Narayan advised people arrive as early as possible, as seats usually fill up quickly.

“It’s a really excellent show,” Narayan said.