SSFC approved budget for CWC, cuts magazine, public coordinator

The student government approved the Campus Women’s Center budget for next year Thursday night, but not before they removed funding for the group’s magazine and one of its coordinator positions.

The Associated Students of Madison Student Services Finance Committee granted the CWC a budget of $100,048.60 for the 2011-12 fiscal year.

However, SSFC removed funding for the CWC’s magazine, Women in RedZine, because it did not qualify as a direct service, according to SSFC Secretary Jason Smathers.

Smathers, former editor-in-chief of The Badger Herald, said the magazine did not fit the requirements to be funded by the General Student Services Fund. He added that did not mean it could not be funded by a different revenue source in ASM.

Representative Jair Alvarez questioned whether they could warn the group the publication would not be funded next year, but still continue to fund it for this year.

“I would like to speak to the fact that the Campus Women’s Center was not funded for a whole year, I would like to grant them another year to put the magazine into a different form, like maybe a website,” Alvarez said.

Vice-Chair Michael Romenesko said the group could create a separate Registered Student Organization for the magazine and then apply for operations grants through the Finance Committee.

The committee also cut the position of public coordinator, because the position’s primary responsibly was to work on the magazine.

After their decision, members of CWC said they were disappointed the committee cut the magazine, but said they planned to push forward with putting out the publication.

CWC Finance Coordinator Nicol Valdez said they were disappointed with the decision, but understood the logic behind it. She added they were happy with the amount of money in the budget and the fact their hours were extended.

The committee also approved budget requests for Supporting Peers in Laid-Back Listening at $52,317.20 and for Adventure Learning Programs at $147,835.01.

ALPs Coordinator Leah Schlecht said they were happy with the level of funding the group received. She added their programs are wholly directed toward serving students and the committee recognized this in making their decision.

“We worked really hard to make sure we crafted a fiscally responsible budget,” Schlecht said.

SSFC Chair Matt Manes announced at the meeting students might be paying $5 more a semester in segregated fees to help pay for repairs to the recreation facilities on campus.

“These are things you have to pay, if you defer maintenance costs you will have to pay out your ass later,” Manes said.

He added both the Southeast Recreation Facility and the Natatorium are in need of repairs.

Alvarez asked if the increase in segregated fees had anything to do with the failed NatUP plan that was voted down last semester by students.

Manes said these repairs would have to have been made regardless of whether the NatUP referendum had passed.

The committee also heard budget hearings from Sex Out Loud, Working Class Student Union and Badger Catholic.

SSFC has given out $829,263.76 in funding for budgets this year.