SSFC votes yes on new Campus Service Fund

SSFC_LK
Committee and student organization members offer their feedback to the new Campus Service Fund, which SSFC approved tonight.[/media-credit]

The new Campus Service Fund cleared its first major hurdle after a student government committee endorsed the fund designed to provide vital services to students on campus.

The fund, endorsed by the Associated Students of Madison Student Services Finance Committee, will now be passed on to Student Council for approval on Nov. 3, according to SSFC Chair Matt Manes.

The CSF would make sure vital services for students on campus would always be funded and provided.

Manes said he will be incorporating suggestions and concerns he heard from committee members and student organizations into the CSF proposal before he brings it before the Student Council. He added he will also include a packet with any other suggestions he has heard that do not get incorporated into the overall proposal.

Representative Aliyya Terry presented five revisions she wanted incorporated into the plan, which Manes said he would present to the Student Council, including capping the number of services funded by the CSF at five and requiring any Student Council representative to collect 30 students’ signatures before they can propose a vital fund in the CSF.

“If only five services should be provided through the CSF at one time, it gives us a way to control it and it forces us to think about what the most critical services on campus are,” Terry said.

However, Representative Chase Wilson said there are already checks and balances built into the system to prevent abuses of the service. He added if students feel there are more than five vital services that need to be provided one should not be penalized for being too late.

SSFC Legal Council Tyler Junger said he was concerned about putting limits on what Student Council representatives could bring before the council.

“Right now the restriction on what they bring before council is time–they have to submit it 48 hours before the meeting,” Junger said. “They can bring forward an amendment for kicking puppies or clubbing seals…that’s their right as a representative to do that.”

SSFC moved into a closed session after endorsing the fund to go over budget training before they begin budget hearings for GSSF groups next Monday.