Committee chosen to select candidates for chancellor

With the current University of Wisconsin Colleges and Extensions chancellor on his way out, a committee of 23 members has been chosen by the system to search for his successor, UW System announced Tuesday.

The committee’s first meeting will be March 17 in Madison and will begin the nationwide search to identify a new chancellor, said UW System spokesperson Dave Giroux.

After sifting through r?sum?s and conducting preliminary interviews, the committee will identify five possible candidates to present to UW System President Kevin Reilly for approval.

Once announced, the five candidates will participate in public discussions and personal interviews. Reilly and the committee will then choose one candidate for approval by the UW System Board of Regents to serve as chancellor, Giroux said.

The new chancellor will oversee UW Colleges, a system of 13 two-year colleges scattered throughout Wisconsin and UW-Extension, which offers education programs throughout the state.

Members of the Search and Screen Committee represent a range of positions and institutions, including faculty and staff, students and community representatives.

“We try to appoint a committee that represents a good cross-section of departments, different interest groups… and is diverse in many aspects,” Giroux said.

Despite the challenging process, Giroux said the interim chancellor, Marv Van Kekerix, would step into the position with previous experience.

“We shouldn’t miss a beat,” Giroux said.

Starting July 1, David Wilson, the current UW Colleges and Extensions chancellor, will hold a new position as president of Morgan State University in Baltimore.

Although leaving the chancellorship of UW Colleges and UW-Extension was a difficult decision, Wilson said he decided Morgan State University provided a place for him to continue his work in providing access and success to populations underserved in higher education.

Wilson said he hopes the new chancellor will recognize the role of UW Colleges and UW-Extension as key players in creating opportunities for more baccalaureate degrees across the state, an effort he will push until he leaves.

As chancellor, Wilson said he enjoyed working with faculty and staff who were passionate about providing access to academic degrees in Wisconsin.

“I have fallen in love with the spirit of Wisconsinites,” he said. “I take nothing but positive impressions with me of the time I have been in Wisconsin.”