Former state representative dies unexpectedly at 41

Former Rep. Tamara Grigsby remembered for her efforts to address racial disparities in Dane County
Courtesy of Flickr user wiadcc
Tamara Grigsby in August 2010

Tamara Grigsby, a former democratic state representative for Milwaukee, died unexpectedly at age 41 from health complications, according to a statement Dane County Executive Joe Parisi released Tuesday.

Grigsby served in the state Assembly from 2005 to 2013. She most recently worked as the director of the Dane County Department of Equity and Inclusion. Before that, she was an aid for Parisi.

Parisi said in his statement that Grigsby was a “public figure to be emulated,” who made a difference in the lives of Wisconsinites.

Gov. Scott Walker offered condolences to her family and recognized her contributions in a statement.

“Our prayers go out to the family of former Rep. Tamara Grimsby,” Walker said. “We appreciate her dedication to public service through her role in both state and local government. Tonette and I will continue to keep her family and friends in our thoughts as they mourn her loss.”

Grigsby’s former colleagues remembered her as a “hero,” a “fighter,” a “fierce defender” of Milwaukee public schools, an “outspoken advocate for the poor” and an “outstanding public servant.

Rep. Mandela Barnes, D-Milwaukee, said in a statement Grigsby advocated for a variety of issues important to Wisconsinites.

“[Grigsby] was a proud voice and true champion in fighting disparities in health, education, child welfare, criminal justice, employment and income across our state,” Barnes said.

One of Grigsby’s most notable achievements was developing “Access to Opportunity,” a series of county public policy initiatives that worked to address racial disparities in Dane County.

Rep. Chris Taylor, D-Madison, said in a statement the entire Legislature was bettered by Grigsby’s contributions.

“We were all better legislators for having the opportunity to know and work with Rep. Grigsby,” Taylor said.

The date of a public remembrance service for Grigsby has not yet been set.