Legislators to address ‘heroin epidemic’

With recent spikes in heroin use across Wisconsin, state lawmakers introduced four pieces of legislation to curb the statewide “heroin epidemic.”

In a press conference Friday, Rep. John Nygren, R-Marinette, laid out the exact changes to be expected with the new legislation, which requires individuals to show IDs while picking up narcotics at the pharmacy, community drug disposal programs and a good samaritan law to allow immunity to someone dialing 911 to save a life during an overdose situation.

“Citizens all over Wisconsin are alarmed by the rising use of heroin that has struck their communities,” Nygren said in an interview with The Badger Herald. “They are concerned with the crime and hardship that comes with this powerful drug and realize there is a need for action.”

Other co-sponsors include  Rep. Dean Knudsen, R-Hudson; Rep. Scott Krug, R-Nekoosa’ Rep. Kathy Bernier, R-Chippewa Falls; Rep. Warren Petryk, R-Eleva and Rep. Lee Nerison, R-Westby.

Knudsen said in a statement the bills will not solve every problem with heroin use but will help reduce usage.

A recent study conducted by the National Survey on Drug Use and Health found that 160,000 Wisconsin adults reported using heroin or other opiates in the past year.

Heroin related arrests, heroin overdoses and police heroin seizures have steadily risen over the past five years, with an overall upsurge since 2010.

“It is a burden on local law enforcement and our court system, and has implications for our economy,” Nygren said in a statement. “Together, the Attorney General, Legislature, Governor and affected state agencies will battle this latest drug epidemic, and we will win.”

Government data has shown that the total cost of illegal drug use across the United States exceeds $193 billion dollars annually. This figure includes costs of law enforcement, prevention, treatment and productivity. Wisconsin reportedly contributes to $2 billion of this national figure.

In response to the dramatic increase in heroin use, Jerry Sauve, Marinette Country Sherriff, said law enforcement has been greatly affected by the increase in the jail population because of drug use.

“[Law enforcement] have been hit hard by it,” Suave said. “Our jail is soon to be 10 years old and we’re crowded. And when we break down our jail population, a high percentage of the people in there are because of this issue.”

Sauve added making arrests is not going to fix heroin use or the increasing jail population.

The Department of Justice has also increased efforts last month to prevent the drug trend from continuing by launching a media-campaign aimed at educating teens about the detrimental consequences of heroin use.

Attorney General J.B. Van Hollen, said of the campaign in a statement, “It is my goal to educate young people, and those who care about young people, about the dangers of this illegal drug so they never experiment with it, and so we can put a stop to this epidemic before it takes another life.”