Legislators advocate for increased voter accessibility

Voters rights advocates in the state Legislature, advocacy groups and University of Wisconsin students voiced their support of early voting and simple registration at Citizen Action of Wisconsin’s press conference in the Capitol Wednesday.

Anita Johnson, an organizer for Citizen Action of Wisconsin, hosted its Voters Lobby to Protect Wisconsin’s Elections event promoting accessibility to eligible voters in Wisconsin, a leading state in election participation.

Johnson said the press conference was successful and that her group was fortunate to have two legislators who support her cause of removing barriers from the voting process.

Rep. Sandy Pasch, D-Shorewood, said she is proposing legislation to ensure multiple early voting locations are available per municipality. Additionally, Rep. Terese Berceau, D-Madison, announced two upcoming bill proposals to bring in special election deputies on a county level and make voter registration available online.

Pasch said her bill would provide greater flexibility to citizens who want to vote through in-person absentee voting, but may not be able to do so because their early voting polling locations are too problematic for them to reach. The bill counters a Republican initiative that would limit the amount of time provided for early voting.

Berceau’s proposal to have deputies assist with election on a county level will help prevent voters from being turned away from polls because they are not from the correct city or municipality for the specific polling location. She added the bill allowing online registration adds simplicity and practicality to the voting process in the digital age. 

Berceau said online registration is currently legal in 12 states, while four other states have bills to allow the same registration procedure and legislation is under review in 14 other states.

“One of the greatest gifts our founders gave us is electing our representatives,” Berceau said. “Whether you live in inner-city Milwaukee or a rural farm in Florence, your ability to register and vote should be as convenient and as efficient as possible.”

Irene Strohbeen, voter service chair for the League of Women Voters of Wisconsin Appleton Chapter,  said Wisconsin had a 72.5 percent election turnout this past November, which was the second highest in the nation. She added equal voting access does not come from standardized hours, like the GOP bill proposal, but instead from increased voter flexibility.

David Vines, a UW student and Associated Students of Madison representative, helped register more than 1,200 students the past fall, a hundred of which he registered on election day alone after waking up at 5:30 a.m. to begin his efforts.

“Because there is a 20-day period before election…we only have about one month to reach 42,000 students, which is a tremendously difficult task,” Vines said. “That’s why it is tremendously early voting is an option.”

Vines said for many students he cannot reach or may not be able to make it to polls election day, same-day registration and early voting is the only way for them to ensure their voices are heard.

Johnson said efforts to make it harder for people to vote will not level the playing the playing field. Instead, she said the will discourage people from voting. 

“Some of our legislators focus is on [inhibiting] voting rights, instead of jobs,” she said. “The governor promised to find 250,000 jobs for the people of Wisconsin. That’s not being done.”