Students advocate tuition cap in talk to lawmakers

A group of about 20 University of Wisconsin students traveled to the Wisconsin Dells Wednesday to advocate for increased funding for state higher education and the implementation of a tuition cap in front of the state’s budget committee.

These representatives from UW’s Associated Students of Madison and United Council of UW Students stood before the state’s most powerful finance group to support the budget’s UW System funding and request a tuition cap, according to UC Vice President Beth Huang. 

Speaking before the Legislature’s Joint Committee on Finance, she said the two organizations sought to maintain the budget’s proposed $181 million to the System and to implement a tuition cap of 3 to 4 percent, which is smaller than the 5.5 percent tuition cap in place from 2005-2012.

Huang said a tuition cap is necessary because in the last legislative session where there was no cap on System tuition, annual costs rose 14 percent, and then 18 percent in successive years from 2003-2005.

“We need to ensure students and their families can financially plan for four years of college,” Huang said. “The only way we can plan how much we pay every year in tuition, how much student loan debt we take out and what types of jobs we are able to work and consider after graduation is if we know how much tuition will go up by.”

ASM spokesperson Grace Bolt said a legislative tuition cap is necessary to ensure education for in-state students is affordable and accessible. She said UW System President Kevin Reilly has stated many times he is looking for flexibility within the budget to implement a “self cap” on tuition.

Bolt added the budget hearing meeting Wednesday was a great experience for all ASM and UC members who attended and testified before the committee members.

“Everyone felt like they had their voice heard and that they are very excited to see how the budget progresses and keep becoming active in advocating for a tuition cap and for funding in UW because we all appreciate this institution greatly,” Bolt said. “And we all really love going to this institution.”

Huang cited an example of one member of UC who attended UW-Platteville and currently attends UW-Stevens Point who has seen a cumulative 35 percent tuition increase since his freshman year.

While all members of the two groups prepared their testimonies to present to the JFC members, Huang said the experience was intimidating even though she had testified before the committee in 2011 during the emergency Budget Repair Bill public hearings.

“It’s always a bit intimidating speaking in front of probably the most powerful legislators in the state who make real decisions about 6 million Wisconsinites’ lives,” she said.

However, Huang said she believes everyone who attended on behalf of UW received good feedback from the lawmakers, including thumbs up and student name requests, although they did not speak throughout the hearing.

Student Services Finance Committee Rep. David Vines said in an ASM statement it meant a great deal to him that he was able to testify before the legislators because he values UW.

“I believe that students of all backgrounds should be able to access a quality education, and that they shouldn’t have to work 10 times as hard to pay for their education as they do to actually get their education,” Vines said.