Senator Grothman Renewable Energy

A Wisconsin senator has introduced legislation that would freeze the legal requirement for renewable energy in Wisconsin at the current 2012 levels.

Sen. Glenn Grothman, R-West Bend, said in a statement yesterday that he believes the current ten percent renewable portfolio standard, a price cap on renewable energy sources, is a mistake. Grothman added that Wisconsin utilities have a sufficient amount of windmills to meet the standard as it is.

Grothman said he is also concerned that raising the cost of electricity would have damaging effects on the struggling economy and would lower property values. Additionally, Grothman said he is concerned about increased health risks as a result of the wind mills, according to the statement.

“As overall power usage goes up, utilities will have to use more and more windmills,” Grothman said in the statement. “Freezing the amount needed at 2012 levels should stop this demand. It would be alright to get rid of the standard altogether, but that is not viable at this time.”

Grothman added in the statement that all major utilities have met the 2012 standard.

“I feel confident that such a bill would pass and put an end to the market for new, divisive windmills in this state,” Grothman said.

Mike Vickerman, Program and Policy Director at Renew Wisconsin, said he disagrees with the senator’s proposal. He added he found it unlikely that the measure would pass in the Legislature.

According to Vickerman, Grothman will not be able to introduce the legislation until January, which may be further stymied by the possibility of new legislators after the fall election.

“Chances are slim that the bill would ever pass. But if it does, it will have a profound effect on the utilities of Wisconsin,” Vickerman said. “This bill is not about cutting back on renewable energy. It is about stopping wind energy cold in Wisconsin.”

Vickerman said Grothman only discussed wind in the statement, adding that it is not the windmills that produce wind energy, but only grind up grain. It is the wind turbines that generate wind energy, he clarified.

“Sen. Grothman is taking steps to make sure that wind turbines do not go up in his district,” Vickerman said. “This is nothing more than a backdoor step to close down renewable wind energy in the state of Wisconsin.”

Former Rep. Spencer Black, D-Madison, said he shares Vickerman’s view that Grothman’s legislation should not be passed. Black, a noted environmental advocate, said that if passed, the legislation would profoundly affect the state in that the renewable energy industry would begin to deteriorate. He added pollution could increase and the number of jobs in that sector could decrease.

Black said despite his beliefs that the legislation would be detrimental to Wisconsin, it may very well be passed.

“The people who are in the legislature today are crazy,” Black said. “A lot of things that should not have passed did pass, so I cannot really say.”