DOJ appeals Voces redistricting maps

Democratic leaders are criticizing Wisconsin’s appeal to the federal Supreme Court against a recent redistricting decision to back plans for two Milwaukee Assembly districts. 

Attorney General J.B. Van Hollen said in a statement the redistricting laws that the Legislature passed over the past session were upheld by the courts in virtually all respects, and the state’s Department of Justice appealed Thursday the part of the court’s decision where the state did not prevail.

“While some view the adverse portion of the district court decision as being inconsequential, I disagree,” Van Hollen said in the statement. “Any time a federal court rejects a state redistricting statute and decides to redraw or adjust a legislative district, it is a serious matter and appropriate for appellate review.” 

Bridget Esser, spokesperson for Senate Democratic Leader Mark Miller, D-Monona, said the decision to appeal will waste taxpayer money. She criticized Van Hollen for not giving a reason for the appeal and said Miller’s office would be interested in finding out the reasoning behind it.

Peter Earle, attorney for Voces de la Frontera, an immigrant rights group and one of the groups represented in the case, also said he found it curious Van Hollen filed the appeal without naming the basis for it.

“This appeal is a laughable political stunt,” Earle said. “I’ll go further. This is a laughable political stunt that has been undertaken for partisan reasons.”

Rep. Brett Hulsey, D-Madison, said he was disappointed in the attorney general’s actions. He also said the case shows the need for developing a better way of redistricting in the state. He said he plans to reintroduce legislation next session placing redistricting in the control of independent body.

“This shows why we shouldn’t have this political gerrymandering in a case which clearly took the right of minority voters away to be represented,” Hulsey said. “Gov. Walker and the Republicans are trying to pick their own voters rather than have the voters pick the politicians.”