Polls show Walker leading field of Dem challengers

Gov. Scott Walker is leading all Democratic contenders for governor according to recent polling, while Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett snagged the endorsements of five Madison mayors over the weekend. 

According to a joint poll conducted by the Democratic leaning Public Policy Polling released Monday, Walker leads Barrett 50 to 45 percent, a change from February numbers which showed Barrett leading Walker 49 to 46. Walker similarly leads former Dane County Executive Kathleen Falk 50 to 43 percent, where Walker previously had 48 percent to Falk’s 47 percent. 

Walker leads Secretary of State Doug La Follette 51 to 40 percent and Sen. Kathleen Vinehout, D-Alma, 50 to 38 percent. 

The poll also shows Barrett leading other Democrats in the primary, receiving 38 percent while Falk has 24 percent. La Follette polled at nine percent, Vinehout six percent and 22 percent of voters said they were undecided. 

However, in February, Barrett polled 45 percent, Falk 18, La Follette 14, and Vinehout six, with 17 percent of voters undecided. 

University of Wisconsin political science professor Barry Burden said in an email to The Badger Herald the changes between the polls could be the result of survey fluctuations. However, he said PPP has suggested it might be due to “applying a ‘likely voter screen.'”

“It appears as though the people most likely to vote in the recalls tilt a bit more Republican than previously thought,” Burden said. “Democrats have some work to do to generate equal levels of turnout on their side.”

Burden added it might be possible ads running on Walker’s behalf may have helped improve his image, while negative ads may have lowered Falk and Barrett’s polling numbers. However, he said this might be “counterbalanced” after the primary and Democrats begin targeting Walker more directly. 

Barrett also received endorsements from current Madison Mayor Paul Soglin, along with former mayors Dave Cieslewicz, Sue Bauman, Joe Sensenbrenner and Joel Skornicka. According to the statement, the five mayors have served consecutively since 1973.

Bauman said she endorsed Barrett because she believes he has the best chance of winning against Walker as well as having the most balanced approach to state politics. She said she chose to endorse Barrett over Falk because she thought he would be able to work better with different constituencies and bring the state together in ways Falk could not.

Skornicka said he chose to endorse Barrett because he said Barrett understands the “bottom” of the process is local government, and Walker’s administration has not treated local governments well. 

Cieslewicz said he thinks Barrett has the best chance of beating Walker in an election. He said Barrett also brings experience to office because of his work as Milwaukee mayor, which has the second largest governing structure in the state behind state government. 

“He is a leader who can bring us together. He has the right approach and the right personality to do it,” Cieslewicz said

He added his decision had more to do about what is right with Barrett rather than what is wrong with Falk. However, he said Falk has focused more on pledging to restore collective bargaining than on other issues voters care about as well.