GOP’s fake Dems aim to force recall primary

In an action some groups say violates state statutes, the Republican Party of Wisconsin is running six Republicans as “fake” Democrats to force a primary race in recall elections for four state senators, the lieutenant governor and the governor.  

RPW spokesperson Ben Sparks said they are running the Democrats to ensure one primary and one election date. He said the party could not allow Republican senators to face a general election on the same day as a Democratic gubernatorial primary.

He added they are also running fake Democrats in the lieutenant governor and governor races to “take no chances.” He said somebody may drop out of the primary.  

“We want to ensure election fairness,” Sparks said. “One primary. One election.”

He said the Republican Party will not expend any resources running the campaigns other than circulating nomination papers to ensure the candidates get on the ballot. 

However, We Are Wisconsin, a group advocating progressive values, alleged in a statement running fake recall candidates is election fraud and those associated could face fines as much as $10,000 and three-and-a-half years in prison. 

Wisconsin state statutes prohibit the falsification of any information on a declaration of candidacy. Jeremy Levinson, the attorney who represented Democrats in recall related lawsuits, said in a legal opinion that when filing a declaration of candidacy a candidate must state that his or her candidacy is representing the party for which the primary is to take place. 

“Clearly, a candidate running in a Democratic primary for the purpose of disadvantaging that party and giving electoral advantage to the Republican Party can do so only by falsifying his or her declaration of candidacy,” Levinson said in the opinion. 

One Wisconsin Now, another progressive advocacy group, sent a letter last Wednesday to the Government Accountability Board asking them to investigate whether the Republicans who ran as Democrats in last year’s senatorial recall elections committed election fraud. 

Reid Magney, spokesperson for GAB, said they plan to explore the issues the letter raises but said he could not comment on the content of the complaint itself. 

Sparks said the GAB previously held running Republicans as Democrats was legal.

According to GAB website, Gladys Huber of Mequon is registered to run in the gubernatorial Democratic primary, while Isaac Weix of Menominee plans to run for lieutenant governor in the primary.

Gary Ellerman plans to face Lori Compas in the Democratic primary for the recall election of Republican Leader Scott Fitzgerald, R-Juneau. Tamara Varebrook may run against John Lehman in the primary for the recall election of Sen. Van Wanggaard, R-Racine. 

James Engel could run against Kristen Dexter in the primary for the recall election of Sen. Terry Moulton, R-Chippewa Falls, according to the website. James Buckley could run against Rep. Donna Seidel, D-Wausau, in the recall election of former Sen. Pam Galloway, R-Wausau. The final deadline for collecting signatures for nomination is due to the GAB today.

Recall elections are currently scheduled for May 8 and June 5. If more than one candidate gets enough nomination signatures to get on the ballot as part of the same party, primaries will be held May 8 with the general election on June 5.