Republican representative to run for Galloway’s vacant seat

Following the resignation of a senator facing recall, a Republican representative has stepped forward to run in a recall election which will decide which party take the majority in the state Senate.

Rep. Jerry Petrowski, R-Stettin, announced his candidacy Tuesday for the seat vacated by Sen. Pam Galloway, R-Wausau, who resigned last Friday because of family health issues. Galloway was one of the four Republican senators who faced statewide recall elections.

“This election shouldn’t be about partisan politics,” Petrowski said in a statement. “It should be about how we best move forward by working together.”

Petrowski said in the statement hundreds of people have asked him to run over the past few days, and he is running to make a difference in the community. 

According to the statement, Petrowski would bring 30 years of experience as a small business owner, dairy and beef farmer to the Senate.

He added he would keep the Legislature focused on retaining and creating jobs in Wisconsin, balancing the state budget by limiting government, and ensuring families and children receive health care and good education.

Rep. Donna Seidel, D-Wausau, who is also running for Galloway’s seat, said she welcomes Petrowski to the Senate race, as it would allow voters to see he has been in “lockstep” with Galloway on many of the issues.

She said the recall election is not about the policies of any one person, but is focused on the way the Republican Legislature has pursued these policies. She said Republicans, including Petrowski, have refused to compromise on issues and to debate amendments designed to improve their bills.

“[Petrowski] pursued the same kind of politicking as Galloway and other Republicans, and that is what this election will be about,” Seidel said. “I’m looking forward to public debate, up close and personal with the voters, where we will talk about priorities and where he will have to explain and defend his votes and record.”

Reid Magney, Government Accountability Board spokesperson, said the board plans to order the elections for Galloway and the senators who face recall at its March 30 meeting.

The election would be held May 8, unless there is a primary, Magney said. The primary would then be held May 8, and a recall election would be held June 5.