Sen. Pam Galloway resigns amid potential recall

One of the four state Senators facing recall elections resigned Friday because of family health issues, eliminating the Republican majority and throwing the power balance of the Senate into question.

Sen. Pam Galloway, R-Wausau, said in a statement last Friday she was resigning because her family was dealing with severe and unexpected health conditions, and she felt she could not simultaneously fulfill her obligations to her family and to her role as a senator.

Andrew Welhouse, Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald’s spokesperson, said the Senate does not yet know what the plan is as far as the change in power balance.

The Senate previously had 17 Republican senators and 16 Democratic senators. However, with Galloway’s resignation, neither party has a majority.

Welhouse said Fitzgerald has scheduled a meeting with Senate Minority Leader Mark Miller, D-Monona, to discuss how the Senate will function moving forward.

Sen. Fred Risser, D-Madison, said Galloway’s resignation may be beneficial to the Senate. He said because the Senate will have a 16-16 tie, all the committees will be staffed equally.

He said no legislation can get through the Senate without the unanimous consent or a majority of both parties agreeing. He added Galloway was likely to be recalled anyway.

“She was destined to be beat by the Democrats in the recall,” Risser said. “She was one of those that were scheduled for recall, so she just saved herself a campaign.”

University of Wisconsin political science professor Barry Burden said in an email Galloway’s resignation means her seat is truly up for grabs.

He said any Republican candidates who run for the seat will have to start fundraising quickly.

“Without the Republican incumbent in the race, Democrats will now view the 29th district as a prime vehicle for winning a majority in the state Senate,” Burden said. “Any Republican candidates who jump into the race now will have to act quickly to catch up with fundraising and organization.”

Rep. Donna Seidel, D-Wausau, has already declared her candidacy for Galloway’s seat in a recall election.

Galloway said she has been honored to serve as senator and she wished her colleagues the best.

“I thank my colleagues for all their support, and I wish them all the best in their work to rebuild this state,” Galloway said in her statement. “For the sake of the electorate, I hope that better days are ahead for this institution.”

The Government Accountability Board, in charge of ordering the recall elections, said in a statement Galloway’s resignation will not halt the recall process.

They said an election will still be held to take her place, as the board has verified enough valid signatures to support her recall.

“Moving ahead with the planned election is the quickest, most efficient way to fill the seat,” the statement said.

Fitzgerald wished Galloway a speedy recovery for her family members in a statement.

He also said he was impressed by the “incredible job” Galloway did and said she showed remarkable leadership in a difficult work environment.

“Pam ran for office for the right reasons, and she’s leaving for the right reasons,” Fitzgerald said in his statement. “Her professionalism, intelligence and dedication to her constituents will be greatly missed.”