State recall elections could be held in early June

The state’s primary recall elections could be delayed into early summer to allow state officials the time necessary to verify and enter signatures by hand, a process which has drawn scrutiny from both Democrats and Republicans.

According to a statement released by the Government Accountability Board, the board could potentially request more time and funding to finish the process of reviewing all petitions that have been filed. The current deadline for the board’s review of signatures is March 19, which would make the primary election May 1 and the general election May 29.

However, because May 29 is the day after Memorial Day, the elections cannot take place on that day or the Tuesday after, which could push the election to early June. GAB spokesperson Reid Magney said clerks’ offices are closed on the holiday and would need more time to prepare for the election.

According to the report, the request stems from the need to finish the review of the signatures against Lt. Gov. Rebecca Kleefisch, as well as scheduling all the elections on the same day to reduce cost.

Magney said the board considered the possibility of using statistical sampling in the review process of the votes against Kleefisch, but decided against the method.

“We will be hand entering all the names into a list that can be sorted to identify duplicates,” he said.

He added GAB officials do not know yet when all the signatures will be fully analyzed. He said they will have a better idea of the time they need after their next meeting on March 12.

The statement said there has been opposition from both Democrats and Republicans in response to the length of the review process.

“Some claim we are not doing a thorough enough job while others accuse the agency of undue delay,” the statement said. “Some observers wrongly assume that the GAB is motivated by favoritism toward one side or the other.”

University of Wisconsin political science professor Donald Downs said both the Democratic and Republican parties are completely polarized on the issue.

He said the Republicans are more concerned with voter fraud in the issue, while the Democrats are less concerned.

“The longer it takes, the Republicans start figuring they have better odds because it’s closer to the next election,” said Downs, an adviser for The Badger Herald. “Why should we do a recall just to make a point if there are new elections for part of the Legislature coming up”?

He said the goal of having all the signatures reviewed and ready for a recall election by June is probably the fastest the board could get it done.

Downs said it is unlikely that the review could happen faster than June, as the parties need to prepare for the election.

“It’s not a long time, especially with appeals and potential lawsuits,” Downs said. “June comes up a lot faster than you think.”

He said there is a strategic difference in perspective on the timeline. The longer it goes, Downs said, it is better for the Republicans, and if they do a recall sooner, it is better for the Democrats.

In an email to The Badger Herald, Ciara Matthews, spokesperson for the Walker campaign, said the board should take as much time as it needs to complete the process.

“Upholding the integrity of the process is priority No. 1, and we are glad the GAB is committed to doing so,” Matthews said.