Falk highlights lengthy political career in campus visit

falk_MM
Former Dane County Executive Kathleen Falk presents highlights of her 30-year political career in a campus appearance Tuesday. Falk announced her candidacy for governor early last week and said her history of leadership in the county and in Wisconsin makes her a firm candidate for the position.[/media-credit]

Former Dane County Executive Kathleen Falk, who recently unveiled her plans to run against the governor in a possible recall election, addressed students on campus Tuesday about her 30-year tenure in government, highlighting issues likely to be at the forefront of the campaign.

Falk focused her speech on her experience in Dane County, where she was elected three times as Dane County executive, the longest serving executive in the county’s history and the second longest in the state’s history.

Falk also discussed her three decades in public service as an environmental advocate.

Falk said in an age where many think “government regulation just gets in the way,” she has worked with realtors and builders throughout Dane County to pass a conservation referendum and worked together with them for years to protect environmental regulations.

Falk also discussed the mining bill pending in the state Legislature, which aims to decrease current Department of Natural Resources regulations and streamline the public hearing process for proposed mining projects.

In line with the current tension in the Legislature surrounding the bill, Falk said the current regulations in place are sufficient and should not be changed. She argued changing the laws would be harmful to the Wisconsin community.

“The existing mining laws have served us and they have been based on facts,” Falk said. “They are not a moratorium. Weakening the laws can hurt our ability to have a thoughtful and fair discussion about the application process.”

Falk also spoke to her experience in the Legislature and said while it has never been an easy process to work with, she has noticed a few differences in today’s political culture.

“There was some civility that has been drowned out today,” Falk said. “There are many people in both parties that want to be respectful but they are drowned out by louder voices. It’s hard for them to put their foot forward and find a compromise.”

Falk has been touring the state since she announced her candidacy for governor last week after protesters turned in one million signatures to trigger a recall election for Gov. Scott Walker’s seat. She spoke in Rhinelander on Saturday and Ashland on Sunday.

In a statement by the Democratic Party of Wisconsin on the morning Falk announced her plans to run, chair Mike Tate said Falk has shown how government can run on a budget and with respect for basic rights. The party did not endorse Falk in the release but said the primary was likely to find the best candidate for the job.

Friends of Scott Walker spokesperson Ciara Matthews issued a statement following Falk’s announcement to run and said Falk had already lost two statewide elections and had failed to earn the trust of Wisconsin voters.

“Falk’s record as Dane County executive falls in lockstep with a Madison liberal ideology that is far outside the mainstream of the majority of Wisconsinites,” Matthews said in the statement.

Falk lost to Gov. Jim Doyle in the Democratic primary for governor in 2002 and also lost in her run for attorney general to Republican J.B. Van Hollen in 2006.