Protests may require more permits

Two new policy changes announced earlier this week by Gov. Scott Walker’s administration would restrict open carry as well as gatherings and other events on Capitol grounds.

The decision made Wednesday would prohibit the open carry of weapons in the Capitol and other state buildings, Mike Mikalsen, spokesperson for Rep. Steve Nass, R-Whitewater, said.

The Walker administration also announced Thursday citizens wishing to hold an event or rally inside the Capitol or on its grounds will be required to register for additional permits than currently required under the law.

A Department of Administration statement said citizens seeking a permit may also be charged for damage, repair, equipment set-up, cleanup or any excess security costs. Any event where more than 100 people can be expected to be in attendance, or when loud speakers are used would need to have a permit under the new policy, according to the statement.

Under these stipulations, the spring’s collective bargaining legislation protests would have required a permit.

However, the new stipulations do give some leeway for some events because exceptions can be made for “spontaneous events,” according to the statement.

Another policy change, regarding open carry in the Capitol and in state buildings, debuted this week.

Mikalsen said the administration was concerned with potential disruption caused by firearms being in plain sight in state buildings. He added the decision was part of the process in preparing for the implementation of the concealed carry law.

“It is clear that they had to make that decision as part of the concealed carry process in public spaces and work spaces in public buildings,” Mikalsen said.

He said not all legislative members are in favor of the governor’s decision. According to Mikalsen, Rep. Nass has heard citizens are unhappy about the decision because they believe they have the right to open carry based on the state constitution.

“I think you’ll see some concerns raised by some folks in the public,” Mikalsen said. “The overall question is how many people who could get concealed carry permits would prefer to open carry.”

Mikalsen said Rep. Nass is not totally supportive of the governor’s decision and feels it is a rollback of open carry rights.

Jeff Nass, a spokesperson for WI-Force, an NRA-chartered association, said there is no great extent of new safety concerns now that weapons are not allowed in state buildings. He said having open carry in state buildings is really a matter of people knowing who is carrying a weapon.

“Knowing who has a firearm is a benefit to criminals and citizens. Concealed carry is defense oriented,” Jeff Nass said.

He also said WI-Force is very much in favor of the rights of citizens in Wisconsin, including business, to not allow weapons on their premises.

He added things will get more comfortable for Wisconsin as people get used to citizens carrying, just as they are in 48 other states.

“We’ve had a good month and a half of citizens legally carrying in the state, and as we predicted, there isn’t a problem,” Jeff Nass said.

Rep. Kelda Helen Roys, D-Madison, said she believes the governor’s decision may have stemmed from an acknowledgement that people don’t feel safer with guns in their state buildings.

Roys said despite the weapons laws in the Capitol, the thousands of people who go there to peacefully petition is a testament to the people of Wisconsin making their voices heard without violence.

She also said that the real focus in the Capitol should be on job creation.