Budget repeals mandates for sexual health coverage

The governor’s budget for the next biennium contains provisions that would effectively terminate family planning funding and allow insurance providers to forgo birth control coverage.

Released Tuesday, Gov. Scott Walker’s 1345 page proposed budget would eliminate Department of Health Service funding under Title V, the only state source of funding for male and female family planning programs at clinics across Wisconsin.

Title V provides health services to uninsured citizens including pap smears, prostate cancer screenings, breast and well women exams, testing and treatment for sexually transmitted diseases, as well as access to birth control.

Family planning advocates reacted strongly to the news.

“He’s made it clear that he does not believe women should have access to this basic health coverage,” Lisa Subeck, spokesperson for NARAL Pro-Choice Wisconsin, said. “In the grand scheme of the state’s budget, Title V is a minor budget item.”

Elimination of Title V is packaged with other reductions in funding that would amount to more than $9.6 million in savings in 2012.

She added Title V is the only way to get health care for a lot of women around the state.

Money invested in family planning services is money well spent, Subeck said, citing a 2008 study that demonstrated every dollar spent on birth control through the Medicaid program saves the taxpayer $4.

Over 50 health centers in Wisconsin would risk having to close if the funding is retracted, Subeck said.

The budget also removes men from the Badgercare family planning program. Subeck said that provision gave uninsured men free access to cancer screenings and STD treatment.

This particular cut is part of a group of changes to Medicaid that would save more than $35 million in 2012.

Walker also drafted language in the bill that would repeal the Contraceptive Equity law that guarantee coverage of contraception from prescription drug insurance carriers.

“This requirement is an unacceptable government mandate on employers with moral objections to these services, and increases the cost of health insurance for all payers,” Walker said.

Subeck said Walker is setting out on a ideological anti-birth control agenda.

“When you pair Title V elimination with banning contraceptive equity, it speaks for his goal,” Subeck said.

She added Walker tried to pass a handful of bills while an elected representative in the Assembly that would have restricted a woman’s access to family planning and contraceptive programs.

But supporters of conservative causes applauded the governor’s cuts on a moral basis and said the cuts would have real, positive fiscal effects.

Planned Parenthood of Wisconsin receives $2 million annually from Title V state and federal matching funds, according to a statement released by Pro-Life Wisconsin spokesperson Matt Slande.

“Rather than throw money at organizations that perform or refer for abortion, family planning funds should be eliminated to help balance the state budget,” Slande said. “Governor Walker’s budget proposal makes a good start toward this end by eliminating the Title V family planning program.”

On the provision to repeal mandated contraception insurance coverage, Slande said the government had no business forcing employers and policy holders to pay through increased premiums for drugs and devices that are elective and opposed medically and morally by many Wisconsinites.