Ron Johnson will face Feingold in Wisconsin Senate race

Senate hopeful Ron Johnson will face off against incumbent Sen. Russ Feingold, D-Wis., after winning the Republican nomination during the primary elections Tuesday.

Johnson and Feingold will meet for the general election Nov. 2.

“I congratulate Ron Johnson and look forward to having an honest debate of the issues with him,” Feingold said in a statement.

Johnson joined the GOP race for Feingold’s Senate seat less than a week before the state Republican convention and won the party endorsement over four other Republican candidates.

While congratulating Johnson on his victory, Feingold remained skeptical of Johnson’s connection to regular Wisconsinites.

“On every kitchen table issue, Ron Johnson is out of touch with Wisconsin people,” Feingold said in a statement. “Times are tough, and Wisconsin people want someone who is going to be a voice for them in Washington, who is on their side and who is fighting for them.”

No Democratic candidates challenged Feingold in the primary and now his first and only serious competition is the general election Nov. 2.

Another closely-watched primary race took place in the 7th district to fill the seat of retiring Rep. Dave Obey, D-Wis.

Democrat Julie Lassa won the Democratic nomination while Sean Duffy took home the Republican nomination.

In acknowledging her primary victory, Lassa emphasized her campaign’s commitment to the middle class.

“This campaign is about bringing Wisconsin values to Washington and fighting for workers and their families,” Lassa said in a statement. “Together, we are now one step closer tonight to shaking things up and making Washington work for Wisconsin’s middle class families.”

Duffy, a former cast member of MTV’s “Real World”, received broad support from the national GOP as well as high-profile endorsements, including House Minority Leader John Boehner, R-Ohio, who campaigned for Duffy in August.

Tuesday brought election results for several other contested Congressional districts.

Rep. Tammy Baldwin, D-Wis., will be defending her seat in the 2nd district against Republican Chad Lee.

In the 4th district, incumbent Rep. Gwen Moore, D-Wis., will run for re-election against Republican Kenneth Lipinski.

Reid Ribble beat out three other Republican candidates for the nomination to compete against incumbent Rep. Steve Kagen, D-Wis, in the 8th Congressional district.