Republican leaders to appear at Tea Party rally

Wisconsin supporters of the Tea Party movement are gearing up for a Tax Day rally at the State Capitol that will include a number of big-name Republican leaders such as Milwaukee County Executive Scott Walker and former Wisconsin Gov. Tommy Thompson.

Other attendees will include Republican senatorial candidates Terrence Wall and Dave Westlake and Republican gubernatorial candidate Mark Neumann.

The Tea Party movement has gained much support throughout the country in the last year with members who support ideals of limited government and fiscal responsibility. Although many Republican leaders support the organization, Tea Party leaders are quick to point out they are not affiliated with any party.

“People like labels and they like to generalize,” said Linda Hansen, Senior Vice-President of the Wisconsin Prosperity Network, and one of the event organizers. “It’s young, it’s old, it’s Republican, Independent, Libertarian, Democrat. It’s rich, poor, black, white … this is not just a movement, it is mainstream America.”

Regarding rumors that Thompson may announce his candidacy for United States senator at the event, Hansen said they have had no indication that Thompson will speak about his possible campaign.

Hansen said the main goal for the rally Thursday is education. She hopes people who attend will leave knowing they are not alone in feeling concerned for the future of their country and there are things one can do to become a better-educated voter.

In the end, the movement is about people who love their country, Hensen added, saying if the government continues to spend like it is currently doing, it will spend away America’s future.

“People swim across oceans and risk their lives to get to our shores. That doesn’t happen in other countries, but it happens in America because we have this wonderful system of free enterprise and this limited government that allows for that entrepreneurial spirit,” Hansen said.

Bob Delaporte, spokesperson for Wall’s campaign, said the Tea Party movement grew out of a feeling many people had that the government was spending too much and not spending wisely.

“The goal is to bring both parties back in line with what the Constitution says and the goals of what our founding fathers were,” Delaporte said. “Most would argue that Republicans are closer to that than Democrats.”

Graeme Zielinski, spokesperson for the Democratic Party of Wisconsin, said there are no official counter-rallies or events planned Thursday, but there certainly could be Democrats who may decide to gather or demonstrate.

Zielinski said he believes the Tea Party movement is funded by many of the same corporate special interests that fund the Republican party, which is why they have gained so much Republican support.

“Who’s going to say they love to pay taxes? It’s your civic duty, but you’re not going to rally people around it. The question is, is the feeling out there … changing now you see the economy growing again?” Zielinski said. “The crest of anger has broken and I think you’re going to see this could be their last hurrah.”

There are no official predictions for the number of people who may attend the rally, but Hansen said last year around 8,000 people were in attendance. The rally will be held from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. today on Capitol Square.