Student government demands fiscal restraint from Union Directorate, possibility of sanctions

Body discussed a letter urging Board of Regents for UHS funding increase, citing metal health concerns
Sarah Godfrey

Student Services Finance Committee members discussed language on a soon-to-be submitted report to Chancellor Rebecca Blank on the state of student segregated fees at their meeting Thursday.

The body discussed language calling for the Wisconsin Union Directorate to follow more stringent guidelines when funding programs. Members also discussed a draft document urging the University of Wisconsin Board of Regents to approve increasing funding for University Health Services.

Letter to the chancellor

In the draft report to Blank, Chair Thuy Pham drew attention to the specific wording of a section addressing WUD funding. She said WUD had not shown fiscal responsibility in recent years, noting consecutive years of funding increases.

WUD uses funding from student segregated fees, which fall under the purview of SSFC.

Pham said the current WUD guidelines amount to little more than “friendly suggestions” without any meaningful incentives for financial restraint.

https://badgerherald.com/news/2016/03/09/student-election-voter-turn-out-increased-53-percent-in-2016-election-ab-md-ajs/

To remedy the situation, the body agreed on language that called for the introduction of sanctions should WUD neglect it’s financial responsibility.

The report to Blank will be submitted Friday.

Letter to the Board of Regents

In a separate draft document addressed to UW System President Ray Cross, SSFC members urged the regents to increase funding for UHS, especially in areas of mental health. The document argued that regents who should shoulder the blame for a breakdown in counseling services.

The document noted recent cuts to UHS budgets and long wait times for mental health services as evidence of a needed funding increase.

The body said the drafts will continue to be edited and could change before they are finally submitted.