Teenagers arrested after crashing car in UW Arboretum

Two teenage drivers were citated for reckless driving and endangering safety Tuesday after a high-speed ride landed them in the middle of a marsh in the University of Wisconsin’s Arboretum.

A red Chevy pick-up truck and a silver Jeep Liberty traveling at 60 to 80 mph on Arboretum Drive lost control, went airborne and landed in the Redwing Marsh Tuesday around 2:00 p.m., according to a UW Police Department statement.

Witnesses reported seeing someone in one of the vehicles throw a bottle, which officers later identified as containing alcohol, into the marsh following the crash, the statement said.

Police gave both of the 16-year-old drivers citations for reckless driving and endangering safety and cited the 17-year-old passenger for underage possession of alcohol, according to the statement. The statement said a Breathalyzer test showed none of the teenagers involved were drinking.

Nobody involved sustained any injures and all of the vehicles’ occupants were later released to their parents, according to the statement.

Accidents like this are fairly uncommon since the speed limit is 25 mph on Arboretum Drive, and both vehicles were traveling more than 60 mph, UWPD spokesperson Marc Lovicott said.

Officers are still investigating why the two vehicles were traveling at such high speeds together, Lovicott said. However, he added witnesses say the vehicles were not next to each other but rather one was traveling in front of the other.

On the incident as a whole, Lovicott said he was concerned about the reckless driving, adding that the area is very popular for walkers and joggers. He also said a witness who was nearly hit by one of the vehicles was luckily able to move out of the way.

“Reckless driving is illegal and extremely discouraged, it is unfortunate that this happened and we are lucky that no one got hurt,” Lovicott said.

Ald. Tim Bruer, District 14, and Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, did not respond for comment.