ASM may still see structural changes

Although the student government voted to reject a proposed constitution to make structural changes to Associated Students of Madison Wednesday night, some changes to the body may still be in store in the future.

ASM Chair Andrew Bulovsky said the main points of concern with the proposed constitution included the power of the executive and whether students should be able to decide on the constitution.

Bulovsky said members of Student Council expressed concerns about the potential powers of the new position of president the new constitution would have created.

He also said some Student Council members also were concerned with the idea of students having the chance to vote on changes or new proposals for the council.

Bulovsky added some people did not think University of Wisconsin students would care or be informed enough to vote on the constitution. He said this was disappointing to hear because he felt putting the constitution and possible changes on a ballot for students to vote would increase the turnout of votes for elections and raise awareness of ASM.

According to a statement from ASM, discussion regarding changes to the way student government operates could still continue in Coordinating Council, the body composed of the chairs of different ASM committees.

Legislative Affairs Chair Daniel Statter said one of the main disagreements at the meeting regarded the effect structural changes put forth by the constitution would have on ASM.

“There was a fundamental disagreement: whether the new structure would have been a step in the right direction toward improving the student government’s accountability to the student body, or further isolate the organization,” Statter said in an email.

Statter added he sees potential for more debate and discussion on the possibility of incorporating the supported parts of the proposed constitution to the existing one in the scheduled Coordinating Council discussions to take place in the future.

Statter said despite some unprofessional ways of handling discussion at Wednesday’s meeting, he expects ASM to have mature debate and express integrity during the upcoming process and added he still sees potential for change.

Statter said he has spoken with colleagues who voted against the resolution and said they are committed to taking pieces of the constitution and debating the ways they apply to the current one.

ASM Vice Chair Maria Giannapolous said even though the proposed constitution was turned down, many good ideas were brought up at the meeting that the body will continue to discuss.

“Although the constitution as a whole did not pass, the steps to improve our student government will not be lost,” Giannapolous said in an email to The Badger Herald. “Coordinating Council will discuss possible ways to utilize the ideas brought forth.”

Giannapolous said any bylaw changes or alterations to the way a member or body of ASM carries out a process will be made to increase the efficiency of ASM members and make them a bigger help to students in the future.