SLAC: Ward must cut ties to Adidas, end mediation

adidas_MM
Members of the campus community gathered on Library Mall to raise awareness about the controversy with Adidas, which they is moving too slowly.[/media-credit]

Holding signs reading “Badgers against Adidas” and “People Over Profit,” students marched up Bascom Hill Wednesday in an effort to pressure the chancellor to cut the University of Wisconsin’s contract with Adidas, the brand contracted to manufacture some of UW’s athletic apparel.

>Organized by the Student Labor Action Coalition, participants in the rally marched to interim Chancellor David Ward’s office, where they proceeded to place what they called a “Report Card” made out of poster board on the office door.

The poster board read “Report Card: Labor Rights – F, Transparency – F, Stalling – A+, Overall Performance – Needs Improvement.” Students also chanted “What’s outrageous? Sweatshop wages!”

Tina Trevi?o-Murphy, a spokesperson for SLAC, said the purpose was to get Chancellor Ward to see how upset students are that he has not listened to their demands.

“It is now the end of the semester, and the Chancellor hasn’t done anything,” Trevi?o-Murphy said. “We want to show him that this is something important to the students … Overall, we are trying to get him to hold Adidas accountable for their actions.”

UW spokesperson John Lucas said mediation sessions are due to take place on the west coast in June. He added UW has been working hard to address the issues and believes the process is the most likely route to see compensation reach the workers.

In mid-April, Ward said the mediation process was moving slower than preferred, but there has been progress. Lucas added UW is contractually obligated to enter into mediation due to the sponsorship agreement with Adidas.

“The input and participation of students, [Labor Licensing Policy Committee] members and campus governance has been sought at every turn, and Chancellor Ward has made the decision that this is the correct route to take at this time,” Lucas said.

Lydia Zepeda, UW professor of consumer science and the LLPC chair, said the LLPC has urged Ward three times to put Adidas on notice that their actions are taken seriously and that the contract can be cut due to the violations.

She added she remains hopeful that action will be taken because of students’ activism.

“The Chancellor seems to be afraid that Adidas will sue us if we break the contract,” Zepeda stated. “We want to go up there and let him know that he should not be afraid.”

Zepeda said UW has a Collegiate Apparel Code of Conduct that Adidas signed and agreed to when the contract for producing UW apparel was made, showing Adidas assured UW the workers would be paid their wages and benefits.

Ward recently sent the issue to mediation, where the contract with Adidas could be ended due to violation of the terms. Trevi?o-Murphy said the problem with the mediation is how long it takes and that it is not open to student input.

Trevi?o-Murphy said another issue with the mediation is the Chancellor has put it off until the summer months, when a majority of students will not be on campus to make their opinions known.