County Board candidates face off on engaging students

Two University of Wisconsin students running for the Dane County Board debated campus and city issues in an event hosted by the Pre-Law Society Monday night at the Memorial Union.

UW junior John Magnino and Leland Pan, a sophomore, are set to face off in the county election April 3 for a seat currently occupied by District 5 Supervisor Analiese Eicher, who has decided not to run for another term.

Both Magnino and Pan said student involvement in greater Madison and Dane County issues would prove key in improving events and problems on campus.

“Not that many kids know about [the Dane County Board,] so I really want to get people more involved and learning and just get that information out there that this is important, this exists, this is what it’s doing and this is how you can get involved and help out,” Magnino said.

Pan also said encouraging students to get involved in the county government would be a significant part of his role as supervisor if elected to the board, adding his experience in mobilizing people around different issues is key in this goal.

In particular, Magnino cited the Mifflin Street Block party and a recent number of sexual assaults on campus as areas where the campus could come together to find common solutions.

However, Magnino said UW’s 42,000 students with different backgrounds and perspectives meant the county supervisor would have to foster communication among those with various viewpoints, rather than similar ideals.

Magnino added he would set up opportunities to speak with students around campus and would support a joint campus, city and county committee to bring student and community leaders together in a public forum on key issues.

“I think I’ve shown more of an aptitude to work with people I don’t personally agree with,” Magnino said. “And I think that is one of the biggest things that a representative needs to do, is to go out there and talk with their entire constituency.”

Pan responded that people who know him, including the student government, know he has worked with people with contrasting perspectives. He added while he is clear on his left-wing political beliefs, the voters will ultimately decide whose opinions they want to represent them on the Dane County Board.

Pan added while committees sound like a good idea in theory, it is bottom-up change and students voicing their opinions that will encourage city officials to reevaluate Madison policies.

Due to state budget cuts, Pan said increasing funding to city and county organizations, such as the Rape Crisis Center and Tenant Resource Center, would also be important in helping students.

Both Magnino and Pan cited cleaning up the Madison lakes as a local issue which students can get involved in, with Pan adding he is also interested in tackling other state issues such as Gov. Scott Walker’s “union-busting” legislation.

“I think everyone … knows I am a bit on the left,” Pan said. “And I think that I should be very clear about my political views and the voters will decide if that is someone they want or someone they don’t.”