WSUM Chief Engineer to depart university

After seven years of engineering and designing the University of Wisconsin’s student radio station, Chief Operator and Technical Director Matt Rockwell is leaving his post to pursue work in a private firm on technical design projects.

At WSUM, Rockwell is responsible for ensuring the station is in compliance with Federal Communications Commission regulations, providing service in case of system failure throughout the day and training students in the technical skills required to operate the radio equipment.

“The UW students do everything here,” Rockwell said. “And for me … the impetus to want to connect the channel, to want to express that creativity, is why I do what I do.”

Rockwell will leave his position at WSUM next Friday to take a new technical position at a private company, allowing him the opportunity to do design work on radio equipment.

He said his proudest accomplishment at WSUM is the station’s new headquarters in East Campus Mall, which he designed and implemented over the course of three years.

“After my kids and being married to someone who’s unbelievably spectacular, the launching of the broadcast station from this facility has been the most incredible experience,” Rockwell said.

The content produced on WSUM is entirely manufactured by students, who do not import content from other forms of public radio. Rockwell added this student involvement makes WSUM unique in both its facility and philosophy from any other student broadcasting station in the country.

Justin Barney, WSUM’s assistant program director, said Rockwell is known at the station for a “rock and roll” attitude not seen often in technical workers and for an extensive knowledge of radio. Often speaking in technical jargon, Barney said Rockwell is notorious for losing people at the end of meetings.

“Matt is a bit of a legend at WSUM,” Barney said in an email to The Badger Herald. “He has a unique brand of tough love that is intimidating, yet endearing … The walls of WSUM are held together by wires and cables installed by Matt Rockwell. And that’s why we all love him.”

Barney added Rockwell is incredibly loyal to WSUM and its DJs, a sentiment echoed by WSUM General Manager Dave Black.

“He’s very interested in students and student success,” Black said. “He’s just important to the fabric of what we’re doing here … that would make anyone a legend.”

According to UW protocol, Rockwell’s position will be filled temporarily until they can begin a search process for a more permanent official, Black said. Rockwell added while he is sorry to leave the station, his replacement will have the opportunity to learn a lot.

Before working at WSUM, Rockwell worked with the Department of Communication Arts, maintaining stage equipment in the department’s screening room on 35 mm projection screens.

“I’m leaving with huge regrets,” Rockwell said. “This place is my baby … but I believe I’m being provided the opportunity to be able to do more for what I’ve done for the students here at UW, but on a bigger scale and hopefully be able to provide that opportunity to more people.”