Union requests funding increase

SSFC_KF
Members of the Wisconsin Union Board asked SSFC to increase their budget to offset projected revenue loss.[/media-credit]

Members of the University of Wisconsin student government heard budget proposals from major UW organizations during a meeting of the student government’s primary financial committee Monday night.

The Associated Students of Madison Student Services Finance Committee reviewed and questioned the budgets from the Wisconsin Union, Recreational Sports and the UW student radio, WSUM.

Wisconsin Union Director Mark Guthier presented the Wisconsin Union’s budget, which projects a loss of $278,300 for the 2013 year. Overall, segregated fees would contribute 22 percent of the budget at $9.4 million in funding.

Guthier attributed this loss to the closing of the Union Theater for renovation, which he said brings in revenue not only from ticket sales, but also from student and organizational events that need to be relocated.

“We are getting close to the point where we’ve got to be even next year or near even to get back to where we were when we started this process,” Guthier said. “Our intent would not be to cover the shortfall with segregated fees. … We would have to figure that out through revenue sources.”

Guthier added the Wisconsin Union would most likely have an even budget if the Union Theater was not closed over the summer, which cut off a revenue stream.

However, he said the current building projects with Memorial Union were necessary because of severely under-funded maintenance needs. He added he expects this revenue to return once the theater reopens.

Through the various infrastructure renovations at the Memorial Union, Guthier also said they aimed to redesign the building for the long-term, rather than needing to continuously seek approval to renovate the union.

WSUM representatives also presented their budget with a one percent increase for the upcoming year. Station general manager Dave Black said with increased listeners during the Rose Bowl, they expected increased expenses for student travel and technology support.

Recreational Sports Director Dale Carruthers also presented a slightly increased budget for 2013, citing the steady increase at athletics facilities across campus.

SSFC Rep. Laura Checovich questioned each of the organizations about other revenue streams they used outside of segregated fees, as well as how they ensured student fees were used only on allowable programs and services.

“I have to be honest with you, in the past I’m not sure there was a lot of attention paid to that,” Carruthers said.

However, Guthier said it is more efficient to combine segregated fees with other revenue streams, rather than two separate budgets. He added Union Council reviews the Union budget every month to track any variances.

SSFC approved the final Student Activity Center Governance Board budget at $330,985.44, after cutting $10,000 for a public address system, $6,000 for caucus room chairs and $5,000 for landline phone services.

“I personally trust the people that are on the SAC Governance Board at this point to have made the most informed decision,” SSFC member David Vines said. “But I think cutting off some student groups from having their own phone number is a bit extreme.”

SSFC will approve or deny the Wisconsin Union, WSUM and Recreational Sports budgets in their meeting Thursday.