Third Chadima allegation reported

The University of Wisconsin Police Department is investigating a third allegation of misconduct against former Associate Athletic Director John Chadima involving an adult male, officials announced Thursday.

“As previously stated, university police continue to investigate all allegations of sexual impropriety or abuse of power brought to their attention,” Interim Chancellor David Ward said in a statement released on Thursday.

Developments leading up to this latest allegation began with Chadima’s resignation Jan. 6 after he was placed on administrative leave. UW officials released a 30 page report detailing the first alleged sexual assault Jan. 24, and the second and third allegations have come to the forefront over the past week.

Vice Chancellor for University Relations Vince Sweeney said this third allegation will be included in the review by an independent panel to investigate a second adult male individual’s claim of misconduct against Chadima, which Ward made public on Monday.

Sweeney said he did not believe the second allegation and the newest allegation announced also took place during the football team’s trip to the Rose Bowl.

Chadima’s attorney, Charles Giesen, said Ward’s actions throughout these investigations amount to “character assassination” against Chadima.

“It is inappropriate for the UW Chancellor to solicit complaints against John Chadima and engage in a reckless campaign of character assassination,” Giesen said in an email to The Badger Herald. “It is unfortunately ‘Kafkaesque;’ and without knowing who the accuser is or what the accusation is, John Chadima has no meaningful opportunity to respond.”

Ward is urging anyone who may have been a victim or anyone with additional information about inappropriate conduct to come forward, regardless of when or where the alleged misconduct took place.

Rep. Steve Nass, R-Whitewater, released a statement Monday calling for UW to launch a thorough administrative review of the Athletic Department. Mike Mikalsen, Nass’ spokesperson, said the third allegation emphasizes the need for such a review.

“I think what you’re seeing now is a situation where some of these folks are coming forward because there’s a growing concern that the university wants to wash its hand of this situation,” Mikalsen said.

In addition to contacting UWPD, former Dane County Circuit Court Judge Patrick Fiedler is accepting reports and information at (608) 262-3017. To contact the university police, phone (608) 262-2957 or email [email protected].