In focus: Sexual abuse treatment

The University of Wisconsin will host the 27th Annual Midwest Conference on Child Sexual Abuse today to explore ways to treat and diagnose the abuse.

The conference is expected to draw more than 900 attendees, according to Jeffrey Russell, the vice provost for Lifelong Learning and the dean of the Division of Continuing Studies.

“The majority of attendees come from the fields of social work,” Associate Dean and Conference Chair James Campbell. “We also have psychologists, attorneys, teachers, medical professionals and members of law enforcement.”

There are several conferences around the country focusing on child sexual abuse, Campbell said.

“The UW conference deals specifically with treatment issues, and the majority of attendees are practitioners who provide direct services,” Campbell said.

Although there have been talks of expanding the upcoming conference to target a wider range of topics, Campbell said the conference will remain intensely focused on ways to diagnose and treat the symptoms of child abuse in the near future.

Campbell acknowledged the field of study can be quite challenging to work in as it is an area that is sensitive and can drastically impact victims’ lives.

“Frankly, the sensitive nature of the crimes and the impact they have on people’s lives needs specific attention,” he said. “This conference is purposefully designed for professionals dealing with this specific area.”

For Campbell, who first became interested in the topic when he was an undergraduate, the conference is only one of many steps toward greater recognition of the problem as a whole.

Campbell added people need to be aware that there are professionals taking steps to provide support for victims and that these professionals are currently working hard to increase the ways reports of abuse can be substantiated.

Russell emphasized how large of a problem sexual violence is and that steps can and should be taken to prevent its occurrence.

“The silent epidemic of child sexual abuse can be prevented with the conscientious, continued efforts of informed individuals,” Russell said. “No human being should be violated by another. When it happens, we need to address and treat the trauma.”

Campbell agreed in an interview, while also pointing out how large a problem child sexual abuse is in society.

He also said child abuse does not discriminate and can affect children of all races, classes and economic standings. This, he said, is why it is so important to increase protection and support for children.

“We have a responsibility to try and give [all children] a chance and provide support for them, just as many other children have that opportunity,” he said.

Recent studies have shown that the efforts of activists like Campbell may have paid off. However, the problem is far from being solved, Campbell said.

“We have to be very careful about discounting reports of abuse because we’re dealing with children,” he said. “I just feel like we have an obligation and responsibility [toward the victims].”