Regents approve System-wide tuition hike

The University of Wisconsin System Board of Regents approved a 5.5 percent tuition increase for four-year campuses and lifted a tuition freeze for two-year campuses for the first time in five years during its July meeting.

The increase means in-state students at the UW will see an additional $659 added to their tuition bill, bringing the grand total up to $8,592 for the 2011-12 academic year, according to a statement from the UW System.

The third of four $250 increases from the Madison Initiative for Undergraduates was also added to the tuition rate for the 2011-12 academic year.

The system-wide increase came after the Wisconsin biennium budget for 2011-13 called for the UW System to take cuts totaling $250 million over the next two years.

“[UW System officials] certainly weren’t going to try to cover it all through tuition increases,” UW System spokesperson David Giroux said.

For the first time in five years, the tuition freeze on two-year campuses was lifted and will add 5.5 percent onto those students’ tuition bills as well, adding approximately $235, according to a statement from the UW System.

Tuition was originally capped years ago because some two-year programs offered at the campuses were comparatively overpriced to other technical colleges outside the System, Giroux said.

The tuition increase will generate $37.5 million for the System for this year, which is approximately one-third of the $125 million cut the system received from the state budget for this year alone, Giroux said.

Next year the UW System will have to make up another $125 million cut as well.

As for other spending cuts in the System, Giroux said each individual department in each college on each campus will have to consider smaller ways to tighten their belts.

“[The UW System needs] to cut back here, there and everywhere in small ways that eventually add up to the savings we need to achieve. The question is, will you as a student be able to notice that”? Giroux said.

Bigger classes, fewer sections and longer waiting lists may become common occurrences because of the budget cuts, Giroux said, and positions may be vacant for longer periods of time.

Associated Students of Madison Chair Allie Gardner said the student government is going to prepare students for some methods to combat rising tuition prices, including a financial aid fair where students can see what financial aid or scholarship options might fit their needs and circumstances.

Gardner said while financial aid is often accessible, not enough students fill out the FAFSA, and she supported making filling out the application mandatory because many first-generation college students may not know they have the opportunity to complete it.

The Legislative Affairs Committee will continue lobbying for the Wisconsin Higher Education Grant, Gardner said, and all members of ASM will continue to lobby for lower tuition.