Chancellor Martin visiting China for second time to raise UW image

In her second trip as chancellor, Biddy Martin returned to China Monday night to continue building relationships and raising the visibility of UW.

In an email to The Badger Herald, Martin said she will be renewing connections and building new ones among academic leaders in the world’s fastest growing economy. She will visit Hong Kong, Taipei, and will also give a lecture in Beijing.

This is different from her trip in March, said UW political science professor Ed Friedman, because she won’t get a chance to visit with families of new UW students.

“Some of the things we did she’s not going to repeat this time,” said Friedman, who was part of UW’s delegation when they wen tin March. “You don’t get to do that every single time.”

The trip is shorter this time around – 11 days instead of 13 – because so much is happening at UW right now, Martin said.

Martin’s presence in China will help reach Martin’s goals, Friedman said, because of her high standing in the university and in state politics.

“The boss showing up is worth five of the rest of us showing up,” Friedman said. “She has her own vision and knows very strongly where she wants it to go.”

Establishing UW’s global presence in other countries such as India and Brazil is also something Martin hopes to accomplish, Friedman said, which will help UW students make beneficial connections during their careers at UW.

Currently, Martin said excursions to India and Brazil have not yet been planned.

“After our trip to China last spring, it became clear that we needed to do more first to solidify our relationships in China,” she said.

Despite leaving before Election Day, UW spokesperson John Lucas said Martin cast her ballot prior to heading overseas.