Union portrait vandalized, ruined

The University of Wisconsin Memorial Union experienced another act of vandalism this fall, this time involving part of the Union’s art collection.

The vandalized painting was of Fredric March, UW spokesperson John Lucas confirmed, who the Fredric March Play Circle is named after.

The painting was located outside the Play Circle at the time of its vandalism, said Union spokesperson Marc Kennedy. The painting was found to have a blue mustache drawn on it, he said.

While the incident occurred in September, Kennedy said the act was senseless graffiti and happens everywhere on campus, which is why it was not reported sooner.

Kennedy does not know whether the damage can be repaired.

The Union has experienced a chain of vandalism and break-ins since September, including damages to the Outdoor Rentals Office and Hoofers’ club equipment. The incidents involved three forced entries into the office, a fire and damaged Hoofers’ sailboards. A suspect has not been found for the incidents.

Kennedy said he thought the incidents at the Outdoor Rentals Office and the Play Circle are unrelated, and while measures are being taken to increase security at Hoofers, he said not all areas of the Union can be policed.

“As far as senseless acts of random destruction, you can’t police everything,” he said.

Security cameras are located at most entrances and retail areas of Memorial Union, but Kennedy said he was unsure whether there are any near the painting.

UW Police Department Sgt. Aaron Chapin said he was also unsure whether these multiple incidents of vandalism at the Union were connected in any way.

Chapin said he does not believe the incident was reported to them, adding he could not find a record of the case.

Quick reporting of incidents of vandalism is essential in researching the case and being able to prevent further acts on campus, Chapin said.

“In any sort of crime prevention, not just vandalism, we like to partner with the community to make sure we’re utilizing the resources out there,” Chapin said.

Lucas said the university is disappointed for the Union and hopes vandalism cases on campus decrease.

“It’s a really unfortunate thing,” Lucas said. “Hopefully it gets repaired and restored so it can be put back in the gallery.”